Return to the Cooking Outdoors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
BBQ placement and fire safety

Posted by uncauzi (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 4, 07 at 5:05

I'm getting a new house and I'm trying to figure out where to put the natural gas hookup for my future barbecue. My house/backyard is pretty small, so my options are rather limited and less than ideal. Anyway, I thought I had it figured out, but then it dawned on me... the barbecue would be right up against a wooden fence!

I did a quick Google search on this, and in addition to the fence, some articles suggest keeping your barbecue away from the house (at least 10'!). This seems pretty ridiculous to me. I was hoping to put it as close to my brick house/natural gas hookup as possible, especially since a long exposed hose would be way too tempting to my curious dog. Anyone have any suggestions? Where did you setup your barbecue?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: BBQ placement and fire safety

Because of a change-of-mind, we have a gas connection on both sides of a small patio that measure about 14x18. The patio is surrounded on three sides by the house, which is brick. We have kept our Arkla, which we use 3-5 times a week, almost against the house. It sets only a few inches from the brick exterior. Been there for nine years with no problems.

o
RE: BBQ placement and fire safety

heck i used to cook on my charcoal grill under my carport if it was raining.

grills are designed to keep as much heat inside as possible, and to not flame outside the grilling area. excess heat goes UP much mroe so than out. so use some common sense, don't put it where easily flammable stuff can overhang it, but put it where you want. grilling next to a wood fence is fine. maintain a foot or so just for the occassional flare up and you will be good to go.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Outdoors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here