Return to the Cooking Outdoors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pulled Pork BBQ the Easy Way

Posted by Earl (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 23, 03 at 21:08

I posted this in Recipe Exchange. Thought I'd post it here for comments.

Pulled Pork BBQ the Easy Way
Pork shoulder or Boston butt [6-8-10 lbs]
Lawrys salt
Bullet smoker
Single burner hotplate
old thick bottomed pot
Hardwood sawdust, soaked in water

Remove everything except the top grill from the smoker, set smoker over hotplate with pan of sawdust on burner, put a pork shoulder/picnic roast seasoned with Lawrys on the grill, put top on smoker. Turn on hotplate, high setting. Smoke for 3 or 4 hours. You make have to open smoker door and replenish sawdust 3 or 4 times. Remove pork from smoker and wrap in heavy duty tinfoil, sealing it good. Put in large pan and into the kitchen over at 250 degrees for 7 to 8 hours. When done remove all fat from pork, pull meat apart into bite size pieces with 2 big forks [with 4 prongs].

Put in bowl, add favorite BBQ sauce. What is not eaten after a couple days, bag up in sandwich baggies, enough for one sandwich, pushing all the air out and twisting baggie to close. Put all the little bags in a gallon zip loc and freeze. BBQ on demand in 5 minutes. Just defrost/heat in microwave and slap on a bun, add some more sauce. I like to put the bun [filled with meat] in a fry pan and heat both sides, mashing the bun down flat.

Earl

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pulled Pork BBQ the Easy Way

Earl,

What kind of smoker do you have? I'm in the market for one. Any recommendations?

carolyn

o

I use a Brinkman's bullet water smoker. Not expensive, but it gets the job done.

o

I use the Cooks' Illustrated way at a higher temp and have also had great results so far (3 butts, each time gets better).

I do not like posting their recipies since they are not really free but if you do a search, maybe you will find it.

The basic differences are that I use a gas grill with lots of smoke chips and try to keep it smoking for about 2 hours at around 275. Then I wrape the meat in foil and into the over at 350 for 2 hours or until it reaches target temp. The meat then it rests for 45-60min.

The result is meat that falls apart just like it should, very succulent and tender. It has a nice bark (from the rub and smoke) and a smoke ring. It is good though a real smoker would probably be even better.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Outdoors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here