Return to the Cooking Outdoors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Beore you buy a big grill, read this.

Posted by freedee (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 20, 07 at 20:45

I got one of those super big grills, a few years ago and I love it, but I have to warn you about something. Before I bought it I asked the salesman, "what if I just want to make two lamb chops?" He said, no problem just use one or two of the rows of burners. The problem is, that if you only use a small part of the grill, the huge cavity doesn't heat up enough to sear the lamb chops. If I had it to do over again, I would get a grill that has two compartments, like my parents grill, that cost thousands less.

On the flip side, on thanksgiving, when I don't have enough room for everything in the oven, I can put the turkey on the grill.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Beore you buy a big grill, read this.

Hi there! I am new to this forum but was happy to hear you grill your turkey too. I am relatively new at using the gas grill. Grilling period, really. A friend bought her husband a new one and gave us the old one to practice on to see if we enjoy it. It's Great!! I don't know if you do yours the same but we use a 13lb.er. I use Hickory or Apple but Hickory is my favorite so far. I like to soak the chips overnight and then about 20 minutes before I'm ready to put my bird on I preheat the grill on high on both sides.

While it's heating I fill the cavity of the turkey with fresh herbs, chunked onions and cloves of garlic and lemons. Tie the legs together, fold the wings under and then rub a bit of olive oil and fresh cracked pepper over it. Move all the stones to one side, place half my chips on top of my stones and shut off the other side. Turn 'on' side down to med. On the rack on the side that has no fire or stones I place a v-shaped rack that I place my bird in breast side down. Close lid and leave for one hour. Then, remove bird and v-rack. Lift grill rack and replace with new chips on side that has stones and fire. Replace both grill rack and v rack. Replace bird, breast side up. Close lid 1 hour and 15 minutes. Done. Very important to have bird at room temp before you begin. It is the most beautiful mahogany color! We did it last Feb. when it was snowing and it smelled so good!! Let bird rest 15 to 20 min. Use that time to finish side dishes. This will be the moistest bird you have ever had.

We love grilling cheese rounds, veg, especially zucchini and eggplant. Onions! All you need is great olive oil and your in business. Fruits too. Peaches, pears, pineapple slices...it's all good!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Outdoors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here