SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pebo_gw

Virco vs. Majestic & Jenn-Air

pebo
21 years ago

For a grill upgrade, IÂm considering a choice between the Virco (Costco), the Majestic (Home Depot), and the Jenn-Air (Lowes). The latter two are the $599 models that seem to be nearly identical, perhaps both made by Vermont Castings(?). At $799, the Virco is at the absolute top of what IÂm willing to spend. I know that the Virco has more features, including the side burner and IR rotisserie. My questions to the list readers have to do with the cooking grids (grills), the sear plates (flame tamers?), and the burners on these grills.

The stainless cooking grids on the Virco look nice and should last forever. But, I know that some stainless steel does not transfer heat very quickly (try drinking a hot beverage from a stainless ÂSierra cup and then from a cheap porcelain-enameled steel cup; the latter will be uncomfortably hot on your lips, but not the stainless cup). IÂve seen a lot of discussion of the two materials, but it has all been with regard to durability and ease of cleaning. Is a porcelain-coated, cast-iron grill like those on the Majestic and Jenn-Air perhaps better for searing meats than stainless?

My second question regards the sear plates. The Majestic and Jenn-Air have wavy, heavy-gauge stainless plates with just a few slots in them for drippings to pass through. The Virco has large holes to the inside of the curved burners, which I can imagine would let very strong heat from the flame pass through to the grill, possibly in a less even distribution than the other two grills. I hate having to work around hot and cool spots on a grill. Anyone have experience with both types? Is heat distribution a problem on the Virco?

Finally, IÂm wondering about the 3 burners of the Virco vs. the 4 burners of the others. Any big advantages either way? Thanks for your help!

Comments (4)

Sponsored