Return to the Cooking Outdoors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOOKING for: Vinegar-based sauces

Posted by Beano (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 9, 02 at 17:54

I'm looking for your recipes regarding bbq sauces, bastes, mops, etc., that are vinegar-based. Where I live everything is tomato-based. I love tomatoes but want something *different*!! A friend from Gary, IN once made some country-style ribs with a simple vinegar sauce that I can still taste to this day. That was seven years ago. I'm withering away out here in ketchup/hickory land. Please help.

Thanks,

B

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LOOKING for: Vinegar-based sauces

Try marinating over night in a mix of 1/2 white vinegar and 1/2 water........with appropriate seasonings added....like garlic!
Tastes very North Carolina!
Linda C

o

This is a mixture that I have used on grilling pork roasts, ribs, chicken, turkey.

1 cup vinegar
1 cup water
1 Tbl salt
1 tsp pepper

Swab every 15-30 minutes with bbq mop.

Last 15 minutes with bbq sauce. I prefer to serve the bbq sauce "on the side". Sometimes, I just don't serve sauce at all.

o
grilling

This is the bbq sauce that I make, it's a family sauce. Know it has ketchup, but it is a VERY light bbq sauce compared to others that are mainly ketchup.

Grandma Smith's bbq sauce (it goes with the swabbing mix I posted above)
1 garlic clove minced
1 chopped small onion
1/4 cup salad oil
Saute until onions are transparent.

Add
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp dry mustard
1 Tbl prepared mustard
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp Tobasco sauce
1 Tbl worcestershire
3/4 cup ketchup
1/3 cup vinegar
1/2 lemon sliced

Bring to boil,reduce to simmer for 30 minutes.

Baste meat the last 15 minutes of grilling, after swabbing with the vinegar, water, s & p mixture.

o

Thanks!

I'm still amazed how a little vinegar, water, S&P can be so good. My friend told me his sauce had five ingredients. I guessed the vin, water, S&P but could not get the last one. He said he'd never tell that one. Oh well. Still bugs me to this day, tho.

B

o

The last ingredient might be:

Honey, sugar, soy sauce, molasses, etc...

A lot would depend on the appearance/taste of the sauce in question.

You're right about salt and pepper. I understand that Col. Sander's secret spice recipe was mainly salt and pepper. My tastes run a bit more southwestern, I like to season things with serrano peppers, garlic and salt.

o

Probably beer was the 5th. Don't laugh. We add it to ours. Ours has six ingredients though -- the last one being garlic.

o

I've never gotten into beer recipes. I'd rather drink it :-)

o

As I remember it, the sauce was clear. Also, he cooked it down a bit and it was slightly thick, but not syrupy. I mean, it was thicker than vinegar/water but not quite thick enough to coat a spoon. I probably would've recognized honey or molasses just because their flavors are so distinct. I just musing now, but I almost wonder if the last ing. might have been light corn syrup...

Well heck, you guys have got me all up about this again. Guess it's back to the pot for some more trial and error. Thanks y'all!

B

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Outdoors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here