Return to the Cooking Outdoors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grilling on charcoal smokers

Posted by amcgeorge (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 6, 11 at 17:18

Hi,
We are designing an outdoor kitchen and don't have a huge amount of space. Husband demands built-in gas grill. I am trying to improvise to squeeze in as much charcoal cooking ability as possible within the remaining tight space. I was wondering if one can effectively grill steaks & chops in either a Big Green Egg or Weber Smoky Mountain Cooker thus combining functions within one piece of equipment w/o sacrficing taste or if it would be best to just pull out the charcoal grill whenever we feel up to that urge.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grilling on charcoal smokers

amcgeorge,

In shoort yes. I do not fave my WSM anymore but yes you could do steaks on it. I presently have 3 BGE's and one other ceramic cooker and you can and I do steaks on them regularly.

For planning purposes a Large BGE has the same grate size at a Weber 18.5 inch Kettle and the same size grate as my old WSM.

Jeff

o

I think FireMagic has a gas grill head that allows you to use charcoal at the same time. It is an extra tray that sits in one (of 3) sections.

o

Check out the Primo brand ceramic cookers as well they have more cooking area than the BGE.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Outdoors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here