Return to the Cooking Outdoors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Texas Style Barrel Smoker

Posted by KelleyJane (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 10, 02 at 13:47

For Christmas last year my honey got me THE BEST PRESENT EVER! Better than a diamond, better than a mercedes (lexus, whatever). He got me a SMOKER! I love it! It saved us this summer. I would fire up the smoker 2 times a week, smoke enough meat for the next 3-4 days, roast the veges and taters, and did not have to fire up the kitchen all summer long. I smoked duck, brisket, ribs, chicken, turkey, salmon (oh my this is dessert!), trout, cod, sea bass, mussles, clams, oysters, etc. I made meatloaf, burgers and sausages. I roasted corn, tomatoes, potatoes, zuchini, butternut squash, onions, apples, carrots, turnips and cabbage in apple cider. You can use the smoker like an oven if you want to cook it slowly by just using a dutch oven (one that doesn't matter cause it will be forever black when you are done). Truly, it saved my summer. I didn't sweat once in the kitchen this year! I thank my lucky stars that I have such a thoughtful and caring man. Ok, so he just wanted real Texas BBQ, but that's ok.... we both benefited!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Texas Style Barrel Smoker

Sounds like you had a blast! I bought my husband a Brinkmann All In One smoker for Christmas last year and we use it every weekend, without fail. We have smoked salmon a few times with wonderful results, chicken, brisket, scallops (they were awesome!). Although I bought it for him, I think I am getting just as much enjoyment out of it! For his birthday I bought him several types of wood chips, different spices for jerky (oh yeah, the jerky I am told was wonderful! I do not eat red meat but he assured me the jerky "rocked".)

When you say you have a "barrel smoker", exactly what is that? Who is it made by? This smoker we have can be used with propane (which is what we normally use as the heat source) or with charcoal. We are in the military so figured this may be the way to go, if we happen to get posted somewhere that propane is not readily available or too expensive. And one other question, have you ever attempted to smoke a block of cheese on the smoker? I have heard it can be done, with a whole lot of supervision and very low heat! I had posted a question about that on here and received some good advice but would be interested in hearing your comments/advice.

Keep on smokin'!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Outdoors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here