SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cjacker

beer can chicken?

cjacker
22 years ago

I saw all the posts for beer can chicken and sounds fun and also sounds like it must taste wonderful. My question in - has anyone made it in the oven. Thanks

Comments (20)

• Arby
    22 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Yes, I have. It's been awhile, but I remember it did turn out quite tasty. There was a little difficulty in getting the chicken out of the oven in a neat fashion. If I remember correctly, I think I just used garlic powder, paprika, salt & pepper as seasoning. The chicken was real moist and good.

• MBannon227_aol_com
    22 years ago

are you talking about sticking chicken in an aluminum can? thats bad for your health.
    we have a safer method of beer chicken called the 12 beer chicken: halve whole chickens; put them on the grill upside down and cook on low; drink 12 beers.

• Related Discussions

TurboChef-First Impressions

Q

Comments (1)
    Wow! The TurboChef sounds great. Can't wait to see your photos. I don't think I can justify another budget buster but I enjoy living vicariously.
    ...See More

Beer Can Chicken or Drunks can Cook

Q

Comments (16)
    Canning Camp! At best I can do a drive by. Work has gone nuts again. New product for me to make so it is a very good kind of nuts. Sol... I don't remember seeing any chickens. Annie... Luna who lets me know when she wants some of what I'm eating tackled me on this bird. She not only wanted some but wanted seconds and thirds. Now that you mention it I do suspect some sort of manipulation. Like when Yoko wanted a new tractor... As for "grilling" birds this way it really is that easy and that is what tempted me to post these pictures. While this was a very minimal effort the results were very good. The legs and wings got to be jerky like but then turkey jerky sells for $13.99 a pound and this was every bit as edible and tasty. I have to tease Jessy by pointing out that the breast and thigh was most tender and succulent. Sticking a beer can in the cavity and standing the bird up works excellent but on the grate works. On the grate is the only way with large birds like a turkey. Hickory chips or other smoking woods can be put on the charcoal to give a stronger smoke flavor. Injecting the bird with cajun or italian spice works very well with this style of cooking. Meat from a bird like this will retain a smoke flavor and pass that on to any dish that it is added to. Family next door likes to take a bird like this and pull all the meat off the bones and mix it together. That way everyone gets both light and dark meat. This style of cooking makes it very easy to seperate the skin, fat, and bones from the meat for feeding kids or making sandwichs & salads. Very little waste because it all becomes lean and tasty. Economical because whole birds are the cheapest to buy. Okay... nuff about chicken. Past my bedtime. : ) michael
    ...See More

Don't make basketball bets with DavidLakeguy

Q

Comments (15)
    Last nights game was a nail bitter that's for sure!! Lakeguy had too much lake yesterday...LOL (at myself) caught the second half and was a aspleep on the couch with my laptop... LOL at myself again! Not a big fan of the NBA but I'd had my eye on the Thunder. Our first NBA team for OK. Couldn't pass up a bet with EJ so here you have have it folks.....thankfully NO Speedos involved Cathy..LOL...that was fun too. I'll be ready for College and Pro FB again. EJ, not sure about those biscuits....found them in the cheese section of WF. I'm thinking they were a special thing as I've not noticed them there before. As far as packing up one of those boxes....I've had practice sending them to Justin. Keep the Gold too! It's next on the list of canning. David
    ...See More

Favorite Chicken Recipes Redux

Q

Comments (40)
    Ann, try saving it to your Clippings. Look to the right of your last post (just above this). You will see the word Clippings in green letters. Under that it will say Clip This Post. For each recipe or comment you want to save, click on Clip This Post. Another way to do it is to highlight the entire thread, or the parts you want, right click with your mouse and then click on Copy. Start a new document in Word and paste the thread into that document, then save it to your computer. If you want me to do that for you and then email it to you, let me know.
    ...See More
  • char_mi
    22 years ago

Who drinks the beer? The Chicken or the cook?

• MBannon227_aol_com
    22 years ago

the cook of course!!

• brnthumbinfl
    22 years ago

You open a beer can. Roast the chicken vertically, with the can delicatly placed in the cavity of the chicken. Been known to add spices to the beer. The other 11 beers are drunk by the drunk chef.

• lindac
    22 years ago

Actually, you drink 1/2 the beer.....make sure it's a big 1/2 quart can! Place a coupld of teaspoons of Tony Couchare's Cajun seasoning in the beer can, place a whole head of garlic brushed with olive oil where the chicken's head used to be....impale the chicken on the beer can and roast slowly. When the chicken is done, cut it up to serve and bathe the pieces with the mixture of spiced beer and chicken juice in the beer can. Squeeze the roasted garlic either into your mashed potatoes, on your bread or over the chicken.
    It's awesome....as the chicken is very moist fron the steam going up inside of it and flavored from the inside.
    Linda C

• RPete2001_aol_com
    22 years ago

Linda

Used you recepie last night with a couple modifications. I used Emeril's cajun rub recepie and rubbed the chicken as well as adding it to the beer. Also rubbed the chicken with olive oil. Best chicken I have ever eaten.

• RetroDame
    22 years ago

I'm not so keen on eating something cooked over an aluminum pan. Has anyone tried other options... pyrex glasses or something? Terra cotta flower pots? I've seen bread baked in flower pots, so am thinking they may be okay.

Any thoughts on this?

• lindac
    22 years ago

well, for starters, it's an aluminum CAN not pan ... so ... that's kind of the basis of the recipe. Besides there's something quite funny about a chicken standing on a beer as if it were a barstool.

• caliloo
    21 years ago

I saw this recipe weith the interesting variation for those who dont like beer.

Alexa

BTW - the bar stool comment is hilarious!

Beer-can Chicken

1/2 cup barbecue sauce
    1 can (12 ounces) beer, half-full of beer
    1 tablespoon dried basil
    2 teaspoons paprika
    1/2 teaspoon onion powder
    1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    One 3 to 3 1/2 pound chicken

Preheat the grill to medium-high heat. Add the barbecue sauce to the half-full can of beer. In a small bowl, combine the basil, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Mix well and rub evenly over the chicken. Place the cavity of the chicken over the beer can so that the chicken is sitting on the can, then place on the rack in the center of the grill. Cover the grill and cook for 1 to 1 1/4 hours, or until no pink remains and the juices run clear. Carefully pour the remaining sauce from the can into a bowl, and serve with the chicken.

Serves 4 - 6

NOTE: This can also be made with nonalcoholic beer or, for a different flavor, you could use a half-filled can of lemonade and rub the chicken with lemon-pepper seasoning. Cooking time will vary depending on the grill used.

• cajun_cat
    19 years ago

Well first of all the beer can is toxic, so that means the chicken you are eating is part toxic. I bought this device call the Tipsy Chicken Cooker made from food grade aluimun.
    and in the center you would fill the cylinder with beer, wine or whatever and fill the remaining with water and cook for 1hour and 45 min. And there you have just eaten the best chicken ever.Of course you would have to season it with some cajun spices. For more information check me out.
    Merci Beaucoup!!
    cajun cat

• josigirl_wi
    19 years ago

I just made this last night in the oven because it decided to rain at the last minute. It is very moist. The trick is to rub the chicken with seasonings inside and out. I also put some garlic and hot sauce in the beer and it made it kind of a jerk tasting. Not something that I do all the time but makes for a cheap easy meal. I have also done it in a smoker and it's wonderful.

• ann_t
    19 years ago

I was interested in finding out whether Beer Can chicken was basically just a gimic, a fun thing to do or whether there was a difference between it and a chicken roasted directly on the grill. I did a comparison last year, roasting two chickens at the same time. One directly on the grill and one on a beer can. The finished product was the same. Couldn't tell the two apart. Both were moist and tender and the beer contributed nothing extra in the way of flavour.

Ann

• lindac
    19 years ago

But Ann....was the beer can 1/2 full os beer....with cajun seasonings added?...And...did you drink some beer while ti was cooking? LOL!
    I guess there are a lot of people out in the world who are full of toxic stuff....if beer cans are toxic!
    Linda C

• rustyj14
    19 years ago

Well, i didn't know there are so many ways to cook chicken! Especially by drinking 12 beers while doing it! I would think, by the time 6 beers had gone "down the hatch" you wouldn't know yer right hand from yer left, ya wouldn't know if somebody had switched the chicken with a dead cat, and by the time 12 beers had gone down, it wouldn't matter how it tasted--as if you could tell!
    As for the toxicity of aluminum cans, which hasn't been proven to me, i am living proof that its a lot of "Bunk" I'm 80 yrs. of age, no pains or problems, still get around quite sprightly, and i've been drinking my beer out of aluminum cans since they first came out. The Dr. asked me what medicine i've been taking (He prescribed a bunch of different "feel good" pills!)I told him: Half a grapefruit for breakfast, a bowl of raisin bran, 6 days. Bacon & eggs on Saturday morning, and a beer or two every day!
    Seems to be working--Dr. can't find anything wrong with me!!
    And, when i went to the Drs. for a checkup, the nurse got all excited when she couldn't get a reading out of the ekg thing she put on my wooden leg!
    HHMMMM!! by: Rustyj
    p.s.: A thought: Maybe my joints are layered with aluminum--that would keep them from wearing out, wouldn't it? Any comments? Rj

• wheely_boy
    19 years ago

I see a trend here with the dead house pets. I suppose you've been banned from the local pet shelter. Perhaps you can try sticking a full tall boy up your rear and stew a while.

• ranger82nd
    18 years ago

I Keep seeing different items to replace the beer can.
    They have this device on grilllovers.com that does the same thing but no beer can. Apparently this was designed because of the toxic paint on the beer cans. Any body use anything like this? What do you think about the 'toxic paint'?

Here is a link that might be useful: http://grillLovers.com

• gin_gin
    18 years ago

My mom does the the beer can chicken in the oven. She calls it Beer Butt Chicken. It turns out great, except the time the chicken tipped over & it tasted a little too much like beer. LOL.

• susanilz5
    17 years ago

This is my familys favorite recipe for beer can chicken. It's from "Cooking Light" When I make it I usually skip the hickory chips and I don't use liquid smoke. Also I use a kettle grill and it cooks in about an hour. Everyone always asks for the recipe. Enjoy!

Beer-Can Chicken with Cola Barbecue Sauce

"I like any recipe that starts with 'open a can of beer and drink half,'" says Raichlen. American ingenuity has produced a variety of beer-can roasters that hold the can in place and stabilize the tipsy chicken. Aluminum cans bend easily under the pressure, so when piercing holes, it's a good idea to use a can-holding gadget.

Chicken:
    1 (12-ounce) can beer
    1 cup hickory wood chips
    2 teaspoons kosher or sea salt
    2 teaspoons brown sugar
    2 teaspoons sweet paprika
    1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
    1 (4-pound) whole chicken
    Cooking spray

Sauce:
    1/2 cup cola
    1/2 cup ketchup
    2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
    1/2 teaspoon instant onion flakes
    1/2 teaspoon instant minced garlic
    1 1/2 teaspoons steak sauce (such as A-1)
    1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke

Open beer can; drink half. Carefully pierce top of beer can with "church-key" can opener several times; set aside. To prepare chicken, soak wood chips in water 1 hour. Combine salt, sugar, paprika, and pepper; set aside.
    To prepare grill for indirect grilling, place a disposable aluminum foil pan in center of grill. Arrange charcoal around foil pan; heat to medium heat.

Remove and discard giblets and neck from chicken. Rinse chicken with cold water; pat dry. Trim excess fat. Starting at neck cavity, loosen skin from breast and drumsticks by inserting fingers, gently pushing between skin and meat.

Rub 2 teaspoons spice mixture under loosened skin. Rub 2 teaspoons spice mixture in body cavity. Rub 2 teaspoons spice mixture over skin. Slowly add remaining spice mixture to beer can (salt will make beer foam). Holding chicken upright with the body cavity facing down, insert beer can into cavity.

Drain wood chips. Place half of wood chips on hot coals. Coat grill rack with cooking spray. Place chicken on grill rack over drip pan. Spread legs out to form a tripod to support the chicken. Cover and grill 2 hours or until a meat thermometer inserted into meaty portion of thigh registers 180. Add remaining wood chips after 1 hour and charcoal as needed.

Lift chicken slightly using tongs; place spatula under can. Carefully lift chicken and can; place on a cutting board. Let stand 5 minutes. Gently lift chicken using tongs or insulated rubber gloves; carefully twist can and remove from cavity. Discard skin and can.

To prepare sauce, combine cola and remaining ingredients in a saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 6 minutes. Cool. Serve with chicken.

Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 3 ounces chicken and about 2 tablespoons sauce)

CALORIES 215(20% from fat); FAT 4.7g (sat 1.1g,mono 1.4g,poly 1.3g); PROTEIN 31.8g; CHOLESTEROL 100mg; CALCIUM 29mg; SODIUM 741mg; FIBER 0.5g; IRON 2.2mg; CARBOHYDRATE 10g
    Cooking Light, AUGUST 2003

Having problems printing? Go to our FAQs.

Photography: Randy Mayor; Styling: Lydia DeGaris-Pursell

"I like any recipe that starts with 'open a can of beer and drink half,'" says Raichlen. American ingenuity has produced a variety of beer-can roasters that hold the can in place and stabilize the tipsy chicken. Aluminum cans bend easily under the pressure, so when piercing holes, it's a good idea to use a can-holding gadget.

Chicken:
    1 (12-ounce) can beer
    1 cup hickory wood chips
    2 teaspoons brown sugar
    Cooking spray

Sauce:
    1/2 cup cola
    1/2 cup ketchup

Open beer can; drink half. Carefully pierce top of beer can with "church-key" can opener several times; set aside. To prepare chicken, soak wood chips in water 1 hour. Combine salt, sugar, paprika, and pepper; set aside.
    To prepare grill for indirect grilling, place a disposable aluminum foil pan in center of grill. Arrange charcoal around foil pan; heat to medium heat.

Remove and discard giblets and neck from chicken. Rinse chicken with cold water; pat dry. Trim excess fat. Starting at neck cavity, loosen skin from breast and drumsticks by inserting fingers, gently pushing between skin and meat.

Rub 2 teaspoons spice mixture under loosened skin. Rub 2 teaspoons spice mixture in body cavity. Rub 2 teaspoons spice mixture over skin. Slowly add remaining spice mixture to beer can (salt will make beer foam). Holding chicken upright with the body cavity facing down, insert beer can into cavity.

Drain wood chips. Place half of wood chips on hot coals. Coat grill rack with cooking spray. Place chicken on grill rack over drip pan. Spread legs out to form a tripod to support the chicken. Cover and grill 2 hours or until a meat thermometer inserted into meaty portion of thigh registers 180°. Add remaining wood chips after 1 hour and charcoal as needed.

Lift chicken slightly using tongs; place spatula under can. Carefully lift chicken and can; place on a cutting board. Let stand 5 minutes. Gently lift chicken using tongs or insulated rubber gloves; carefully twist can and remove from cavity. Discard skin and can.

To prepare sauce, combine cola and remaining ingredients in a saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 6 minutes. Cool. Serve with chicken.

Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 3 ounces chicken and about 2 tablespoons sauce)

CALORIES 215(20% from fat); FAT 4.7g (sat 1.1g,mono 1.4g,poly 1.3g); PROTEIN 31.8g; CHOLESTEROL 100mg; CALCIUM 29mg; SODIUM 741mg; FIBER 0.5g; IRON 2.2mg; CARBOHYDRATE 10g

Photography: Randy Mayor; Styling: Lydia DeGaris-Pursell

Chicken:
    1 (12-ounce) can beer
    1 cup hickory wood chips
    2 teaspoons brown sugar
    Cooking spray

Sauce:
    1/2 cup cola
    1/2 cup ketchup

Drain wood chips. Place half of wood chips on hot coals. Coat grill rack with cooking spray. Place chicken on grill rack over drip pan. Spread legs out to form a tripod to support the chicken. Cover and grill 2 hours or until a meat thermometer inserted into meaty portion of thigh registers 180°. Add remaining wood chips after 1 hour and charcoal as needed.

• winsome45
    17 years ago

My favorite chicken sitter is from www.barbecue-store.com. It's ceramic with a flared base and a straight, cylindrical top. Chicken sits securely and lots of room for "goodies," including beer, in the base. I usually rub the chicken with Galena Street Chicken and Rib Rub from www.penzeys.com, after drizzling the chicken with a bit of extra virgin olive oil. Yum.

Sponsored
BME Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Source for High-End Custom Decks & Outdoor Structure