Return to the Cooking Outdoors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Let's get this going, ok? Other than the usual

Posted by glenda_al (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 31, 02 at 22:55

hmbrgs, ribs, chicken, what's your favorite thing to cook on the grill?

Would love some good fish, shrimp grilled suggestions, plus others.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Let's get this going, ok? Other than the usual

I like to take jalepeno peppers, slice them lenghtwise, take out the seeds. Then I put some cream cheese in the half and wrap it in bacon and secure with a toothpick. I have also laid a shrimp between the cheese and bacon. I put these on the smoker while the chicken is going. Man these are to die for. With the jalepeno seeds taken out, they are not really hot. The cream cheese also stays put and doesn't melt and run like cheddar would. You should try these sometime. Yum Yum!

CB

o

I had a plesant surprise one year when, when I was through braising a butterflied leg of lamb, I BBQ's some leeks. They came out great.

o
salmon

cbag, that sounds yummy!!!
Anyone got a good recipe for grilling salmon?

o

We grill salmon often, usually with a honey mustard glaze. We usually set the salmon in an aluminum pan, but it is fine directly on the grill.

Have also coated it in a mixture of honey and mustard and then topped it with crushed pecans. Delicious.

Sue

o
Spicy Grilled Shrimp

Here is a great recipe for shrimp that is adapted from 'How to Cook Everything'. We serve these as an hors d'oeurve; they disappear quickly.

Spicy Grilled Shrimp

1 Large garlic clove
1 t. salt
t. Cayenne pepper
1 t. Paprika
2 T. Olive oil
2 t. fresh-squeezed lemon juice
1.5 2 pounds of shrimp (20-30 count per pound), peeled, rinsed, and dried.

Preheat grill or broiler to very hot.

Mince the garlic with the salt; mix it with the cayenne and paprika, then make a paste with the olive oil and lemon juice.
Smear the paste all over the shrimp.
Grill or broil 2-3 minutes per side, turning once.

Serve immediately or at room temperature with lemon wedges.

o

GRILLED STUFFED PEACHES (serves 4)

4 large peaches
2 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
1/3 cup quick-cooking oats
2 Tbs. firmly packed brown sugar (light brown, preferably)
1 Tbs. finely chopped almonds
1 Tbs. butter, melted
tsp. cinnamon

In a large pot of boiling water, cook the peaches for 30 seconds to make them easier to peel. Immediately remove and rinse them under cold water and carefully remove their skins. Halve and pit the peaches and cut a very thin slice from the back of each peach half so it will lie flat on the grill. In a medium bowl, toss the peach halves with the lemon juice and set aside.

Preheat grill to medium heat. Meanwhile, combine the remaining ingredients in a small bowl. Dividing evenly, fill the centers of the peach halves with the topping. Place filled peach halves on grill and cook, covered, for 5 or 6 minutes or until the peaches are tender. Serve hot or warm. Great with vanilla ice cream.

o
bananas

Here's another

Bananas Foster on the grill - mks 1 serving
1 banana sliced
2 Tbl brown sugar
2 Tbl kalulah or apple cider
2 Tbl sliced butter
dash cinnamon
chopped pecans - optional
vanilla ice cream when serving

Put all of the above, except ice cream, in aluminum foil, and tightly seal.
Place on grill 5 - 7 minutes.

o
Good Fish

If you take a fish that is firm enough to steak, we use grouper a lot here in FL. Melt some butter. Put in your favorite spices (I like some garlic, worchester sauce, maybe a little tabassco) Put the fish in a dish that will catch the butter. (Pour some butter in first) pour the butter over it and stick it in the freezer while your getting your fire hot, then grill her up!

o
Salmon

I have a real simple recipe I stole found a long time ago. It's fast, easy, and fairly popular with my friends.

3 to 4 Lb. side of Salmon
3/4 cup Maple Syrup
1/4 cup Soy Sauce
1 Tbs. Oil
Fresh Ground Pepper

Combine the syrup, oil, and soy. Place salmon in a Pyrex dish or other large non-reactive container. Pour Mainade over fish and let sit for a minimum four hours to overnight. Lightly oil large sheet of aluminum foil. Place fish on foil and pat dry. Sprinkly large amounts of the pepper over the salmon. Place fish on grill and cook for about 11 minutes. I leave it on the foil and don't bother to turn it anymore. It cooks up fine. Enjoy.

o

This is absolutely the best, most tender, salmon I've ever had!

Barbequed Salmon Fillets with Yoghurt Dill Sauce

2 Salmon fillets
1 Tbsp lite olive oil
Juice of lemon
Freshly ground pepper
Freshly chopped dill or tsp dried

Marinate salmon in a Ziploc freezer bag with lemon, oil, pepper and dill for approx. 2 hours.

Yoghurt Dill Sauce

1-cup plain yoghurt
cup chopped sweet onion
1 tbsp freshly chopped dill
1 tbsp mayonnaise
2 tsp limejuice
2-4 drops Tabasco sauce, or to taste

Heat barbeque to 425 F. Place marinated salmon fillets, skin-side down, on double thickness tinfoil sheet, with the sides turned up to form a lip. Set timer to 13 minutes, but start checking salmon after 10 minutes. When salmon is just completely opaque, remove from BBQ. Slip a spatula between the meat and the skin to remove from skin to the plate. Serve with steamed new potatoes, and salad, and top with yoghurt dill sauce.

Note: This can easily be done in a 425 F oven. Delicious!

o

This is a great web site for grilling--thanks to Ann in
another posting.

Here is a link that might be useful: Grilling Recipes

o
Grilled Green Beans!

Precook the green beans in the microwave until they are about half cooked. Now take about 8-10 beans (make a log of beans about the diameter of a quarter) and wrap them with a piece of bacon. Start maybe an inch from one end and wrap toward the other, overlapping a bit as you go to keep the bacon in place. Then use a toothpick to secure the bacon. Grill, turning as needed to cook the bacon evenly and through.

Yum! It's a pork fat thang!

o

I've never posted here before but do read often and this is such as seasonally appropriate thread that it should be kept alive.

I haven't made this in years (20?) but DH and my sister-in-law say it was one of their all time favorites.

Basil pesto (if paste-like used as a spread or if more liquified used as a marinade) for a butterflied leg of lamb. Let sit 4-6 hours or overnight and grill.

o

We do all kinds of kebabs, using whatever meats and veggies we have on hand. I also do whole chickens, turkeys and roasts, Potatoes in foil: diced potatoes, butter, herbs, sometimes some cheese, garlic and onion, too. Salmon is one of my favorites, usually just grilled with a little lemon pepper.

This is an oven recipe but I make it on the grill, too.

Salmon Baked in Foil

1 (6-8lb.) salmon, cleaned
1c sliced carrots
1c sliced onion
1c sliced celery
1/2 tsp fresh thyme leaves
salt to taste
1/8tsp coarse ground black pepper
1 clove garlic, minced
1 bay leaf
2c dry white wine

Preheat oven to 400 degreesF. Place large piece of heavy duty foil (enough to wrap entire fish) on jelly roll pan. Place salmon on foil and add remaining ingredients. Wrap and seal foil tightly around salmon. Bake 50-60 minutes or until fish is opaque and fin can be easily removed. Remove from oven and col. Skin and bone fish and serve with Hollandaise or sauce of your choice. Serves 8-10
Linda

o
Profanity Salmon

Profanity Salmon

I found this on the net and have tried it, it is great, easy to make and tones down the fishy taste of the salmon.

Ingredients

1/2 cup mayonnaise
3 tablespoons teriyaki sauce
1/4 teaspoon wasabi paste (substitute horseradish if desired
1 1/2 pounds salmon fillet (salt and pepper to taste
1 green bell pepper, sliced ( I prefer yellow and red bell peppers)
1 onion, finely chopped
Directions
1 Preheat an outdoor grill for high heat.
2 In a small bowl, blend mayonnaise, teriyaki sauce, and wasabi paste (substituted prepared horseradish).
3 Spread mixture over the salmon fillet. Season with salt and pepper.
4 Tightly seal salmon, green bell pepper(substituted yellow and red peppers), and onion in foil.
5 Place foil on the prepared grill.
6 Cook 10 to 15 minutes, or until the fish is easily flaked with a fork.

Makes 4 servings

o

You need to check out this web site I found while I was looking for a nice Char- Broil pit. Just go to
www.grilltrap.com it's the coolest, it's about time someone came up with this.

cajun cat

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Outdoors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here