Return to the Cooking Outdoors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
outdoor cooker by viro

Posted by allen1125 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 13, 02 at 21:30

DOES ANYBODY HAVE AN OUTDOOR TURKEY/LOBSTER COOKER FROM COSTCO?THE COOKER IS MADE BY VIRO,THE BTU IS 110000.IT COST $79.99.IS IT WORTH THE MONEY ?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: outdoor cooker by viro

Are you sure about the BTU's? It sounds like a blowtorch!

o

I've seen that one, I think it's made by Virco.

Generally speaking, those big turkey fryers scare me. I wonder what happens when someone accidentally knocks over a top heavy contraption full of boiling oil. Plus the oil is not cheap, and it gets rancid in storage, and fried foods are not that healthy to begin with. Oh well. The Virco fryer looks like it's good quality, though, if that's what you want.

o

My understanding is that the Oil can indeed be re-used, you just strain it good before storage.

I suspect that a turkey cooked in oil is every bit as healthy as one that might be cooked on a grill. One in a oven might somehow be slightly more healthy, but I'm not even sure that's true.

Deep frying a turkey is almost certianly the quickest and possibly the easiest way to cook a turkey.

I still prefer smoking my turkeys however... not all that healthy but it sure does taste great.

o

One heated, a liquid vegetable oil will start to oxidize and turn rancid quicker. If strained and stored, it should be kept refrigerated. This might be impractical if the amounts of oil are large. I would think a turkey fryer would work best for a very large family or restaurant that uses the oil often, perhaps on a daily basis.

Deep frying is not particularly healthy, due to the formation of polyacrylates and of course the increased fat content. But it probably is quick and tasty, I'll warrant that.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Outdoors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here