Return to the Cooking Outdoors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Turkey help

Posted by elisamcs (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 14, 06 at 18:09

My ovens have died, and while I'm waiting for my kitchen to be redone, I don't think I'll have ovens for Thanksgiving. So, long story short, does anyone know how to cook a stuffed turkey on the grill? There could be snow on the ground by then, and that's probably important. I have a very low end, CharBroil grill which has two burners, each of which run from side to side, and it doesn't have a temperature gauge. Should I just make reservations?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Turkey help

That's the only way I do my turkey, even on Christmas Day!!
I don't even look at my temperature gauge, I use a meat thermometer after a couple of hours and I stick it into the thickest part of the bird between the breast and the leg but don't touch a bone. Turkey's done when it reaches an internal temperature between 180 and 185 degrees F. Here's how I do mine: I turn the barbecue on and get it nice and hot, then I put the seasoned turkey in the pan, add bay leaves and onions around the turkey, add lots and lots of water after you've placed it on the barbecue because it will get heavy to carry (almost half way up the pan because it will evaporate during cooking)and if you're using foil to cover the bird it's a good idea to give it a spray of Pam or lightly brush the foil with some oil so it doesn't stick to the bird. Keep checking the pan for water (I check it about every 20 minutes and add HOT water as necessary so as to not cool down the pan with cold water) and then after a couple of hours I stick the thermometer in as I said above and then keep inserting it as time goes on till it's done. Another trick I learned was to turn off the barbecue when the temperature reaches about 175, I take off the foil so the bird can brown and by the time the temperature's reached 180 the bird's browned and the barbecue's cooled off. I guess it's my way of saving propane. Then, make sure you can put the turkey onto a platter of some sort because the thing will be offly heavy. Good Luck. It'll be the best tasting bird ever. By the way, if you want to have a smokey flavour to it, take some hickory chips, soak them for a couple of hours in some water, then, as the bird's cooking, drop some from time to time (about every 20 minutes when you check for water level) through the grates into the bottom of the barbecue and they'll steam and send the smoke through to the turkey. To die for!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

o
RE: Turkey help

I've been doing my turkeys on the grill for the last 8 years. Never even would think of doing them inside again. We don't eat gravy, so it's no problem not having drippings. I stuff my turkeys just like I would if doing it in the oven. I rub with butter all over, then put a dry rub all over the bird. Place it directly on the grates without anything under it. Use the external thermometer and keep the temp at 250 to 275 for 7 or 8 hours. Never had better tasting birds or juicier ones. We make about a 20 lb. turkey each time. We have a Weber gas grill and use wood chips for some smoke. No pans to clean and if we want gravy we buy a good brand and heat it up for guests. Sometimes I put fresh rosemary under the skin.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Outdoors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here