Return to the Cooking Outdoors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grilling Shrimp: what's the secret?

Posted by Beano (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 4, 02 at 17:54

Hi.

Long time reader, first time poster.

I think I'm a pretty good cook, and have mastered the grill when it comes to steaks, ribs, chicken, and such, but for some reason I seem to always undercook shrimp. I'm a dyed-in-the-wool charcoal guy and have used a Weber kettle for years. It's not the fire. I mean, I know how to make a good one. A while back I overcooked some shrimp(we had guests over) and it was like chewing on a boot. Ever since then I guess I've been gunshy and always seem to pull them off to soon. Does anyone know a foolproof method for checking shrimp doneness??? I usually cook the jumbos; 16-20/lb. Thanks.

B

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grilling Shrimp: what's the secret?

I cook mine until they are of the orange color and I always cook more than I want to serve so I can test one or two while I am cooking to make sure they are done. I found the timing to be difficult as well, so I started doing this and now I get great results. Good luck.

o

I've been cooking marinated peeled shrimp directly on the grill with great success. Haven't messed it up yet. I just go by the color and when they curl up a bit. More so, just a sense. The good thing about this is that it is easily solved by practice. Just keep grilling shrimp till you get it right. :) Heck - even a slightly overcooked shrimp is still pretty darn good.

o

Large and jumbo only need high heat and 2-3 minutes per side, turning once. Oil the grates before grilling. As bsbbq said, testing is a great way to tell if they're cooked.

Sue

o

Wiggle the shrimp.......push on it with your finger....like you would test a steak to see how done it it. When the shrimp is just firm to the touch, take it off the grill.
Linda C

o

Stick peeled jumbo shrimp on wooden skewers, baste them with a little oil... gril on medium heat turn them once after about 2 minutes, grill for another two minutes... if they are orange on both sides they are done enough to eat...

If you want them kind of crispy on the outside you could put a little butter on them... that will burn pretty quickly and the shirmp will get crispy before they get over done...

I've always heard that you should not over cook shrimp, but quite frankly, I've never had a shrimp that I didn't like, as long as it was not still white...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Outdoors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here