Return to the Cooking Outdoors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
building a smoker

Posted by brix (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 28, 06 at 17:51

Have had the opportunity to pickup a used traffic box. You know, the big stainless steel boxes 3'wx5'hx2'd that sit on the corner for the traffic lights. I want to have a friend cut a hole low on the side and add a firebox. What can I put in there to make the temp easier to control? Some type of gas or electric burner comes to mind, am I close?
Thanks, Newbie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: building a smoker

I turned my old gas BBQ grill into a cold smoker. The racks are in there, and I can put upwards to pounds of bacon in it on three levels.

I made a smoke generator out of a piece of flexible water heater vent. I screwed one end to a hole I cut in the bottom of the grill.

The other end goes into the top of a large metal popcorn can that serves as the smoke chamber.

My smoke generator is an old cast iron frying pan on top of an electric hot plate.

Works like a freaking champ. To date I've smoked nearly 50 pounds of bacon, about 30 pounds of sausage, some turkey legs, and some sharp cheddar cheese.

If, however, you're talking about a hot smoker, as opposed to a cold smoker like the one I made, you're going to need a substantial firebox on the side to get the heat up to the proper levels.

My suggestion would be to use dampers to control your heat levels if you want to use wood or charcoal.

Electric could be easily controlled with a rheostat.

As for gas, I wouldn't suggest it. Gas creates water vapor when it burns, and I've found that that can really interfere with the smoke flavor.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Outdoors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here