Return to the Cooking Outdoors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kenmore gas grill being considered

Posted by ctigers (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 16, 02 at 17:16

Seriously considering this grill, for the features and the price. I know it's not a top of the line $2k all stainless, but I don't drive a Lexus either!

Anyone with experience they'd like to share about this grill? I'll also be getting the rotisserie to use.

Kenmore 490 sq. in. Cooking Area Gas Grill, 40000 BTU, LP Gas, Cart Style

Regular: $549.99

Sears Item #07115227000
Mfr. Model #15227

Power:BTUs Per Hour 40,000
Cook System:Front Panel Color Stainless Steel
Ignition Type Electronic
Heat Distribution Porcelain steel M Shaped Flame Tamers
Gas Burner Type Cast iron rail burner
Total Cook Area 490 sq. in.
Shelves & Storage:Front Panel Cabinet Yes, enclosed cabinet with stainless doors
Frame Material Steel
Gas:Flame Tamer Yes
Flame Tamer Material Steel
Bonuses:Rotisserie Burner Yes, 10,000 BTU
Side Burner BTUs 12,000
Grid:Primary Grid Number 2
Primary Material Reversible porcelain-coated cast iron

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kenmore gas grill being considered

The unit seems nice enough, especially for the sale price of $499. But, I look at what the grill has to offer and it's features, and I would be very hard pressed not to spend another $100 and go with the Members Mark from Sam's Club. Both the Kenmore grill that you are looking at and the one at Sam's are made by Grand Hall, so the quality is equal. The one at sears seems to have a few things I would not like. The plastic casters for one, they seem to remind me of cheap office furniture casters. Also, the grates are porcelin coated iron, the Members Mark is three seperate grates made of SS, so nothing to chip. The BTU's seem to be about the same for the side burner and rotisserie, but the entire grill is only 40K BTU's. That seems to me to leave only 18K for the three main burners, only 6K each! That seems alot less than the three 18K burners that the Members Mark offers totaling 54K just for the mains. If you really wanted to sear a steak nicely, I think the Kenmore might not do it very well.
The included smoker box is nice, but that is an item you can pick up reasonably anywhere. I see a little SS on the lid, panel, and doors, but that seems to be about it. The Members Mark has SS hood, side shelves, side burner and practically everything you can see. The exceptions are a few items made from steel and the lid has cast alluminum ends similar to the Kenmore except they are not painted like the Kenmore seems to be.
I do like the slide out tray for the lp bottle on the Kenmore better than the exposed one on the Members Mark, but that is probably a personal preference. The draw back is that you have less interior space underneath for storage of rotisserie, griddle, smoking chips, etc...
In my honest opinion, it seems the Members Mark from Sams club is a much better value for only another $100. Even if you don't have a membership that's another $35. Still worth it! I am not trying to push the Members Mark (actually I own a Virco and love it), but for the difference in features and $$ I think the Members Mark is one hell of a grill for $599 if that is all you can spend. Now, of course, if you've got $799.........Well, the Virco can't be beat! (You Virco guys new that was coming) If you haven't seen the Members Mark from Sam's, I highly suggest you check it out. I have included a link below of Alek's site. A very happy MM owner who has an excellent site on this grill that is very informative. Good luck on your purchase. Oh, by the way, if you haven't seen pictures of the Virco, you can see those at MY web site!
http://www.equinoxcs.com/Grillingweb/index.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: Members Mark from Sams club

o
RE: Kenmore gas grill being considered

Thanks bbsbq for the informative post. Actually, Members Mark $599 is the first grill we considered. Then we went to high end, then to Weber, Vermont Castings, Kenmore. We have made a decision after much research and comparisons. We will purchase a Napoleon gas grill with rotisserie. I really like the stainless steel models but they cost about $2200, so we'll probably save the money and purchase next spring. I'd rather spend the money to get a really high quality grill, but again I really appreciate your post. Check them out at:

http://www.nac.on.ca/Webshare/napoleon_grills/full_line_gourmet_grill.htm

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Outdoors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here