SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greg888

Virco Temperature Gauge Breaks Often...Long!

Greg888
21 years ago

I'd like to preface this by saying this first...I've owned my Virco for about 2 months and absolutely love everything about it except the following problem.

I'd like to take an informal poll....How many of you Virco owners out there have had your temperature gauge glass cover either break or fly off???

I'm on my third one, and I'm starting to get a little upset about the situation. Let me give a little history....

The original one that came with the grill, the glass shattered about 15 minutes into its maiden voyage and almost put my eye out in the process. Called Virco, and they sent me a replacement. I thought OK just a defective one....

Installed the replacement, turned on the grill to get it nice and hot(was cooking steaks)guess what, the cover started to lift off the back part of the temp gauge. Kind of like it was warping. I immediately turned off the grill to let it cool down and promptly removed the gauge so the glass wouldn't shatter again and this time put my eye out.

Called Virco again, spoke to Caesar and he admitted to me there have been problems with the gauges and he would send me yet another replacement, but they were on back order and wouldn't be in for a few weeks...

Well, a few weeks went by and I finally received my 3rd gauge installed it yesterday fired up the grill and guess what happenend again????? Suspense killin' ya yet....the damned thing did it again!!!! As soon as the grill gets fairly hot the cover starts to lift off again.

I'm totally frustrated now with this...Not that I rely on the accuracy of the thing, but the grill looks like crap when the guage is broken or missing.

Please let me know if any of you have had similiar problems and the ones that haven't you might want to check and see if the cover of the gauge is lifting off the part that screws into the hood. Look at it from the underside of the gauge (when you lift the hood)and look at either the left or right point of the oval to see if it's lifting. (Hopefully that made some sense?

I'm going to call Virco again, but I'm not holding out much hope that they'll have a solution for me. Can I be the only one having this problem?

Does anyone know of a suitable replacement that will fit into the existing holes on the hood, that won't fly off and blind me.

Thanks,

Greg

Comments (53)

Sponsored