SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chogan2322

New Stainless Grill - Need Temp Help

chogan2322
17 years ago

Hi everyone,

I recently purchased a new stainless steel grill and love the look of it but after my 1st attempt at cooking burgers on it, I'm afraid I might have bought more grill than I can handle.

The grill has 4 12000BTU main burners which I cranked to high to preheat (like I did on my old baby grill). When I arrived to put the burgers on, the temp was over 900 degrees. At that point I immediately turned it down (afraid I would burn the neighborhood down). When it was at about 700 degrees, I put the burgers on and went inside to get the brots. By the time I returned (approx 2-3 minutes) the burgers were on fire (bigtime flame ups) and too crisp for my taste. This may be in part due to the fact that I bought ground chuck patties on special but I think my grilling technique (or lack therof) is mostly to blame. I flipped the burgers and they stuck to the grates (by the way, the grates were disfigured some lifted up and some down I guess due to the high heat but they went back after it cooled off).

The burgers were edible but I need some help with temperatures. I am wanting to cook some steaks tonight but afraid to ruin them also. My typical grilling style is to pre-heat, put the seasoned meat on, wait 1/2 cooking time, flip and finish cooking. During the waiting periods, I typically go inside and finish other items. Am I going to need to babysit this thing or can a temperature adjustment help me out?

I've always heard that grilling on high temp is best for juicy meat but there seems to be a million answers out there as to what temp is correct for burgers and steaks. What have you found to work?? Thanks for your help.

Comment (1)

Sponsored