Return to the Cooking Outdoors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Thoughts on the Big Green Egg

Posted by GrillMeister (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 5, 03 at 7:53

Any Big Green Egg users out here? Now that I've returned my Virco Stainless, I've been thinking about the Big Green Egg instead of going back to a Weber Genesis.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Thoughts on the Big Green Egg

Why did you return your Virco?

o
Disregard my last post.

Disregard my last post. I found your other post about why you are unhappy.

o

Well, I went and bought a large Big Green Egg last week after taking my Virco/Kirkland back to Costco. I was debating over getting the Egg or a Weber Summit. The local dealer let me borrow the video tape that comes with each egg and after viewing it, I was convinced the Big Green Egg would be my next grill/smoker. I've grilled/smoked every day for the last 6 days (sometimes twice) and still have not finished a 10# bag of lump hardwood charcoal. It's extremely efficient and my first brisket smoked low and slow for 8 hours without much effort on my part.

See the link below for some pics of brisket, ribs, chicken, and trout. I have also grilled the best steaks ever on my egg. The amount of time needed was less than 20 minutes from starting the egg to putting nicely seared 2" medium-rare ribeyes on the plate.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pics of Big Green Egg BBQs

o

Are you still happy with your egg? i'm thinking of getting one.

thanks,

carolyn

o

I'm so happy, I now own 3 of them. Two large eggs and one small. This lets me cook something low and slow for 18 to 20 hours, and still lets me cook other things at the same time. The small is great for quick things, but I purchased it mainly to take on picnics and camping. I have never had so much fun smoking/grilling and the food turns out absolutly fantastic. I've cooked everything from 20 hour brisket and pulled pork, to smoked salmon, bratwurst, stuffed Jalapenos, chicken, & more.

Check out my link below for some pics of what I've cooked on the Big Green Egg.

Here is a link that might be useful: Big Green Egg Food Compilation

o
Big Green Egg vs. Kamado

Anyone have any thoughts on the comparative virtues?

o

How many 3-4 lb chicken can fit on the lrg BGE?

o

Just a very late followup regarding the Kamado.. I just took delivery of a K7 last weekend and have cooked in it several times now (still in the break-in period) and currently have a pork butt and briskett going on it (at 210 degrees) that will take about 18-20 hours.. I've completely fallen in love with this thing.. I've already taken my two older grills and put them on the side yard.. Anyway, if you want something that's bigger and has thicker ceramic walls (meaning that it holds heat better) over the BGE, then I'd go for the Kamado.. I should be able to do a nice low-n-slow of the above meats for >20 hours easily with a single bag of charcoal lump (Cowboy brand in this case for now).

o

I've been using my BGE (large size) for 2 weeks and love it, however, I have not been able to get the temp over 600F. Any suggestions? Thanks.

o

snookie83,

Post that question over on the BGE forum (www.greeneggers.com) if you have not already done so and you will surely got more responses.

While 600F should be plenty to sear a steak, if you are not getting over that it is your fire. Check to make sure your grate holes are open and not clogged with coal dust. Use good quality lump and start your fires on the outside of the coal ring in multiple spots. My understanding, from reading the various Kamando style cooker forums, is that the center gets a bit better airflow so that starting the fire on the rim encourages more of the fuel to ignite more quickly as the fire travels to the center.

Good luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Outdoors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here