Return to the Cooking Outdoors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Using Firewood for your Smoker Q

Posted by obrionusa (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 12, 12 at 7:14

Has anyone ever smoked on your smoker with firewood? I thought about using some wood that blew off my trees during the last few storms. I have soft and hard maple trees and some elm. I also thought about buying the firewood bundles at the grocery. The wood chips I get at the home depot stores just don't last long. Surely if I used seasoned split firewood it would last a lot longer than those small chips they sell. Anyone have an opinion?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Using Firewood for your Smoker Q

When using wood for a fire, I prefer if it came from my yard. I'm not that good at recognizing wood just by appearance but when it came from one of our trees, I know which. Oak and pecan are delightful for grilling/smoking, but apple and fig are my favorites of the woods we've tried.

o

Awesome! I just learned something new!!!

o

Cool. Welcome to Gardenweb, Shellie!

o

Thank you so much for the welcome!!! I do appreciate it!

o

I usually buy various wood CHUNKS not chips of Mesquite, Hickory, Cherry, Apple woods.
Many years ago when I was in Southern California I was able to get Grape Vine cuttings that was really nice for flavor also.

About the only trees we have near us is Pine which is unusable for smoking.
But bags of wood Chunks last quite awhile and it is nice to have the selection of various flavors, plus the wood is nicely dried and just the right size.

I buy a Lump Charcoal from our local grocery store that is made for them by a place called "Nature's Grilling" it is a perfect blend of good hardwoods.
"Ebony, Limoncillo, Tenaza, Hueso de tigre, Mezquite" woods in nice large lumps, last a long time, starts easy, burns at up to 900 degrees and its cheap to boot, I usually get a 6.6lb bag for $4.50.

I then add a few chunks of the aforementioned hardwood chunks to give off copious amounts of smoke for whatever flavor profile I am looking to get.
Although the charcoal all by itself is quite nice.

Here is a link that might be useful: Harris Teeter (Natures Grilling) charcoal

o

I only use firewood for grilling and smoking. You need lots of sizes and small 'splits'. Slivers and chunks. Very small learning curve getting to know the wood you are using and the heat it produces and how well seasoned it is. I'll be smoking a bit next week being on holiday...
chickens, ribs, pork shoulder, lamb sausage....may even rig a 'cold' box to smoke some cheese!

The method does take a bit more tending but i don't mind as it is free. Important to start a good fire at least an hour ahead to get a nice even steady heat bed of coals.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Outdoors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here