Return to the Cooking Outdoors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOOKING for: Smoked Cheddar

Posted by Canuck_Eh (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 18, 02 at 0:36

Does anyone have any experience with smoking cheddar cheese on a water smoker? My husband has a Brinkman All in One smoker (courtesy of me...and Santa!)and has been having quite a bit of fun trying different things on it. I recently spoke to someone who said she had smoked blocks of cheddar cheese on a smoker & that it had turned out quite well. I mentioned this to my husband who is interested in giving this a try but is uncertain about how the heat would be regulated. I wasn't able to get the details from the girl who was talking about it as our conversation was cut short.

I would appreciate any input from anyone out there who may have tried this, to get some tips. Obviously the heat would have to be as low as possible or you would end up with a cheese fondue....which actually wouldn't be a bad thing, come to think of it!

Thanks very much in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LOOKING for: Smoked Cheddar

There are two types of smoking, with and without heat. You want to do the heatless method (unless you want fondue).

There was a very good episode of "Good Eats" on the FoodTV Network. Alton Brown showed how to cold smoke bacon and the technique involved. Check it out if you can.

Basically, you have to have a seperate area to produce the smoke (with heat. of course), then pass it through a cooling area, then have it come in contact with the food to be smoked.

It should be quite easy, but most smokers aren't set up for heatless smoking, so some reconfiguring of your setup may need to be done.

Lew.

o

Lew,

Thanks for the info. Now that you mention it, I remember that episode of "Good Eats" (Alton Brown is quite the fellow - that episode was "Good Eats meets Junkyard Wars"!!)
I'll have to give it some thought and figure out how we can try the method you described.

Thanks again - happy smokin'!!

o

I've smoked cheese with very low heat. You have to be VERY careful or else you'll melt everything.

o

To my knowlege there are no comercial "home" smokers that can do cold smoking reliably.

I also beleive that it would require alot of effort and ingenuity to create your own system at home that would be capable of cold smoking in a reliable fashion.

Cold smoking also reuires more care so that you don't grow alot of evil bacteria on your food as your smoking it.

Methods I've seen for home made cold smoking involve building a fire in a pit bellow ground, and running the smoke thrugh ductwork that is also bellow ground... eventualy the smoke cools down, and then can be piped into a container where the food to be smoked is at.

In the end your probably better off buying smoked food that is comercialy cold smoked...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Outdoors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here