Return to the Cooking Outdoors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Want Rotisserie - Turns out as Smoked Chicken!

Posted by slucci (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 24, 06 at 22:37

Hey everyone!

I have a simple charcoal circular weber grill. I bought a rotisserie attachment whereby a motor and a rod can turn a chicken over the grill to make rotisserie chicken.

This afternoon I made the chicken, it cooked for about 1.5 hours and was definitely cooked (I read the thermometer) but the wings and legs looks very red and raw... whilst the breast was juicy and looked like normal rotisserie. After reading other articles it seems that I smoked my chicken and overly smoked chicken looks very red and raw when its really cooked.

How can i prevent this again? Should I leave the top off so smoke does stay engulfinh the chicken.. or should I put a drip pan because a lot of flare ups come up from the chicken grease and fat that drip from the chicken to the charcoal brickets?

Any help is appreciated... I was looking for a how-to-rotisserie book or video but can't find any... THanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How can I convert my propane grill into natural gas grill

My gas outlet is on one side of my home and about 75 feet from my grill.
Can I run a line around my home preferrably along the soffets? And can I use flexible lines at both ends for bending purposes.

I have a three burner and side burner Char Broil. Thanks.

o
RE: Want Rotisserie - Turns out as Smoked Chicken!

slucci,

What do you mean by raw? Smoke meat does look red, but not raw. What was the temperature and where did you take the reading? The thermometer should read 180 when inserted in the thickest part of the thigh without touching bone.

90 minutes is quick unless it was a small bird. It normally takes me at least 2 hours with a five pound bird straight from the refrigerator. If using a frozen bird, especially if quickly thawed in a microwave, be VERY certain its completely thawed. It will not cook correctly if the breast is thawed but the centers of the thighs are still frozen.

Leave the lid on and do place a drip pan under the bird. Also the bird should not be directly over the coals. Rather the coals should be off to one side either to the front or back, parallel with the spit. I haven't owned a kettle style grill, but I believe bricks are placed under the chicken to keep the coals to the side.

carlcarter,

You should have started a new thread to change topics. The nature of your questions suggests you do not have the knowledge to run the gas line safely, please hire a professional. If youre still tempted to do it yourself remember your insurance company will deny any claims resulting form an improper installation and you could be charged with criminal negligence if someone gets hurts or dies as a result of a leak from your DIY installation.

o

jeffgt:

First, thank you for the response! I mean it looked raw because the flesh around the wings and thighs was very reddish.. but the bone was whitish grey. I definitely think it was cooked, it had a very smoky flavor as well.

Where do you rotisserie your 5 pound bird? I think the brick idea is a good one... because when the fat dripped from the bird, the coals smoked and flared up..and my main goal is to prevent too much smoke. Thanks!

o

it looked raw because the flesh around the wings and thighs was very reddish.. but the bone was whitish grey. I definitely think it was cooked, it had a very smoky flavor as well.

By raw I thought you ment the connective tissues and fat was still visible, but it does sound like it was cooked. Where you using wood chunks for fuel or maybe lots of wood chips? A charcoal fire shouldn't produce a lot of smoke. I guess the smoke could also have been the burning fat, and the constant rotation kept the skin from scorching directly over the flare up.

Where do you rotisserie your 5 pound bird?

Our gas grill has an infrared rotisserie burner. I use the largest available fresh bird (chicken/duck/wild turkey or goose) on the rotisserie. My wife uses the leftovers in casseroles or salads. Our charcoal grill is the barrel type with a side firebox, great for smoking or bbq but useless for rotisserie.

BTW, don't forget your rotisserie also does a good job with other meats (beef/pork/lamb/game/etc).

o

We have a lot (and I mean A LOT) of experience using the large Weber grills like you describe here to do turkeys. Same concept but cooking times would be the main difference. It's hard not to get the wings overdone. As for the smoke, are you cooking with the vent holes all turned wide open? Also, you want to keep the single leg turned facing into the wind. Smoke is never a problem this way unless it's a windy day, and this is easily controlled by sheltering the grill from the wind. We push our coals to the side and keep the drip pan in the middle. I can do a 15 lb turkey in a little over 3 hours but we don't rotisserie it, and the lid is removed once at most. Does that help any?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Outdoors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here