Return to the Cooking Outdoors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gas Grill making a noise. Regulator ?

Posted by sooey (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 8, 06 at 19:13

HI Gang,

We just got a new gas grill. A Kenmore, nothing fancy, just a good, usable grill. We get a noise from the tank/regulator after we turn it on. It might take a minute before it starts, it might take a few minutes. If we turn it off and start over it goes away...most of the time. Any idea what it could be and/or how to get rid of it? It's a whistle or a hummmm...

Thanks, Gang.

Sooey

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gas Grill making a noise. Regulator ?

No worries....it is a pretty normal thing.

o

Thank you, cookwaresnob1,

It does not seem to bother the cooking at all, just anoying.

Thanks.

Sooey

o

If it's a loud whistle, then it might not be getting enough propane for some reason. Our pool heater was whistling, and they found out that it wasn't getting enough propane. It still worked, but it just wouldn't have been as efficient.

o

Some regulators will be noisy at times. Mine will scream if I turn the gas on full suddenly. If I turn the gas way down it stops and is quiet as long as I turn the gas to full slowly.

o

The new tanks require you to turn them on VERY slowly or the internal valve will sometimes partially shut causing a lack of gas. Try turning it on slower and see what happens.
If that doesn't work, take the regulator back to Sears for a new one. I have an old Makers Mark from Sam's that did the same thing but learning to open the valve slower, turning on the burner furthest from the tank first then lighting solved the problem. I did get a free replacement regulator anyway.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Outdoors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here