Return to the Cooking Outdoors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: Famous Deviled Eggs

Posted by
Mara
(mara@netmagic.net) on
Sat, Jul 10, 99 at 16:25

This isn't exactly BBQ made food..but it is a MUST for any outdoor dining day..so I'm including it anyways. I don't want to sound conceited...but I say "famous" because in my circle of friends, I certainly am famous for my deviled eggs! I think people invite me to BBQ's just because they know I won't attend one without making deviled eggs. The recipe is simple and tastes GREAT with standard BBQ fare. I even make them for Christmas get togethers, since the paprika on top makes them look quite festive.

The recipe is very simple and I know some people like to add other things like celery or green onions to their deviled eggs, but try this recipe and see if you don't like it better. I've had lots of types of deviled eggs with all kinds of diff things in them..and so far I think these are the best. Maybe it's because this is my mom's recipe and I grew up on these things, but whatever it is, I love them.

I don't cook with measurings usually..mostly its just by taste and eye. So you might have to improvise where I don't give you #'s below. You can't really go wrong though..it all depends on your taste. Enjoy!!

Large or Medium Eggs
Regular yellow mustard
Mayo
Paprika
Salt to taste

Boil eggs, make sure to boil long enough so that egg yolks are hard inside, but not too hard. Then its harder to separate the egg from the shell. Run cold water into the pot and let the eggs sit in the pot for about 10 minutes to cool down a bit. Peel the eggs from their shell, I think this is really an art perfected over time, because if you wait too long, the shell starts to stick to the egg..and if you don't wait long enough, the egg is too hot to handle and still a bit infirm from boiling. I run the eggs under a barely warm stream of water from the tap, crack the top of the egg and then begin to peel from there. If I'm lucky the shell just peels off practically by itself. After peeling, cut eggs lengthwise and take out the yolk with a small spoon (or on a good day..the yolk sometimes pops out on its own quite neatly!). Place egg yolks in a bowl and hollowed out egg halfs on a plate. Mix mayo and mustard with egg yolks, mashing as you go along, until the mixture is the consistency you desire. Personally I don't like overly creamy deviled eggs, I like them to be a little chunky, seems like its a better texture. Mix in salt to taste. Spoon the mixture into the egg halfs, I use two spoons to do this since it seems easiest that way. Pile as high as you want into the eggs, sprinkle with paprika for added zing and color and transfer eggs to final party platter. Chill for about 2 hours if you like cold eggs.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: Famous Deviled Eggs

I like to substitute Miracle Whip for the mayo, and omit the mustard.

o

A little trick I've used in making deviled eggs-put the yolk mixture in small plastic bag and snip off one corner. Fill whites with a swirl and place a sprig of parsley on top. Looks quite festive I think.

o

I always add a can of devilled ham into the yolks with mayo and and dry mustard.It's GREAT too ! Try it!

o

• Posted by
    Terri--Pacific Northwest
    (afrostad@gte.net) on
    Tue, Jul 27, 99 at 15:23

I go with the same as the original recipe posted above, but instead of paprika, I sprinkle with chili powder. Try it on a few of the eggs and see if you notice the difference.
Terri

o

I make homemade mayo and everyone loves them!

o

...also try adding chopped scallions (green oinions) or spiceit up a little with horseradish. YYYYUM!

o

I use Hellman's *real* mayo - can't be anything but! And fresh (unprepared) horseradish... And then instead of paprika on top, I use chipotle powder. Sometimes I'll put a thin slice of green olive on top, too. If I do use mustard, I try and use corse ground, but most usually, I just go with mayo and the horseradish. Delish!

o

Instead of regular mustard I use honey mustard and sweet pickle cubes.

o

I have used Hot Dog mustard relish along with No Fat Miracle Whip with paprika on top for color.

o

Mayo, pickle relish, paprika.

o

Sounds like a great receipe. My receipe differs slightly, instead of using regular salt, I use garlic salt, but not too much.

o

Personally, i prefer them with a bit of Ketchup, yall should try that, its goooood. Just skip the mayo and mustard completely,, Ketchup all the way man!!!!!!
Well i guess if you want to you can add mayo and mustard, it was just a suggestion. Dont get mad at me if you dont like my little recipe. Cause everyone i know likes them, but sometimes i come across someone who just Hates it. And they get all mad at me and stuff, and ,, it hurts my feelings......

o

I like to add some white vinegar to the mayo, mustard, yolk part. It gives it that zing that makes your mouth water. Then sprinkle with paprika. mmm

o

Add a little holiday rum to the egg mixture and feed to the inlaws!Makes for a nice quiet holiday!tee hee

o

I am making deviled eggs for the very first time! I will try a concoction of the above mentioned "famous" recipes. If anyone has any hints or suggestions, please do let me know. Wish me luck!

o

To peel the eggs easily, drain off the hot water, cover with COLD water, drain that off and cover with ice cubes and then fill the pan with cold water to cover. Since I have been cooling the eggs like this I haven't had the first shell stick!

o

I add a pkg. or two of chinese mustard to the mayo mixture... men really love this!

o

after boiling the eggs, and draining the water off, shake the eggs all around in the pan gently to break up the shells and fill it with cold water, let sit for a while, shells practically fall off the eggs

o

I've been using the same "famous" recipy for a while, and like to somtimes add hoseradish. Does anyone know why they're called "Deviled" eggs?

o

Fry up a few bacon slices till crispy, cool them down, and mash till 'bacon pieces' add to mixture!~ I'm from the South, as we all like this artery clogging food!

o

They're called "Deviled" because of the mustard. I use only Coleman's dry mustard, stronger than the others with a bit of bite.

o

Try adding a product named "Tangy Bang" (to taste) It's a salt free hot sauce. Used along with a dash of white or basalmic vinegar it gives the eggs Zip along with Tang. I also use the honey mustard and I've never failed to get raves from anyone with my eggs on their face. ( ; -)

Here is a link that might be useful: SETI@home

o

I use Miracle Whip, yellow mustard, pepper, a little salt and dill pickle juice. Be careful and don't make too thin since you add pickle juice.

o

I'm looking for a deviled egg receipe that uses curry instead of dry mustard. I had one but misplaced it.
need by May 6. Does anyone have one?

o

Hi Mara..
I make 'em just like you do. That's the way my mom has always made 'em too.

They are the best!

Colleen

o

Try sprinkeling with dry dill. Makes them even more yummy. I use the same recipe as you and so does ALL my relatives. Never have to worry if there is going to be deviled eggs at a gathering or if you are going to like them!

o

BOY DO I HAVE A TASTE FOR DEVILED EGGS NOW.
ALL IDEAS ARE GREAT THANKS TO ALL

o

First of all ladies...start w/fresh eggs & by filling the pan w/ice cold water before you boil. Once the eggs are in the pan, take your salt shaker & give it 7-10 good shakes into the water. This will guarantee an easy peel off shell. As soon as the eggs begin to boil reduce teh heat to a gentle boil for 10 monutes & they'll be done. After draining the hot water I usually add ice cubes to speed up the process. My recipe that I have been famous for is..

Flake the yolks real well with a fork
Hellmans Mayo
Mustard (few small squirts the 1st time around)
Italian Dressing (few squirts)
Onion Powder
Pepper
Paprika
Dont put too much Mustard or Italian Dressing in at once..you can always go back & add..but never take away.
The yolks should be creamy and have very little lumps. No
measuring here..just tast as you go.

o

I do mine with the Mayo, and a bit of the mustard a bit of salt, but add just a tad of the horeseradish and also have mine sprinkled with paprika, and then I put a 1/2 of a green olive in the center of each one. Looks good and is! I also am "famous" for mine at holiday time or Bar-B-Que time. ha ha

o

my family always makes sure i prepare the deviled eggs... they love them... i personally do not care for deviled eggs... but here's the recipe

egg yolks
mayo
roasted garlic...i use alot (the kind in a jar)
soy sauce
hot sauce
mash together...spoon in egg whites....warning...they have a kick........

o

All sound delicious!!! A bunch of us are planning a tailgating party for a charity polo match this Sunday. After all of this, Deviled Eggs will be on the menu. Thanks for the wonderful suggestions! They've always been a favourite!!!

o

Instead of using regular mustard-there's a product called "Nance's Mustard Sauce"..to die for! I use it in my Deviled eggs,-Potato & Mac salads too. I also add a small amount of sweet pickle relish & real bacon crumbs sprinkled on top...in addition to scallions, mayo, salt & pepper.I mix paprika & cayenne in with my yolks.

o

Ok these recipes are making me very hungry for deviled eggs. I just made some a couple weeks ago for a baby shower and I used these ingredients:
real Mayo
salt and pepper
tiny bit of stone ground mustard
tiny squeeze of lemon juice, to taste
fill the eggs with a cake decorator bag if you have one
sprinkle with hungarian paprika and dill
this makes it pretty and quite delicious
Im on my way to the grocery store for some eggs

o

Mara, I make mine the same as yours, they are delicious! A friend of mine brought some to a get together recently and I detected something a little different. They were the best I'd ever had. She told me that she added a bit of ranch dressing to the mix and used a little less mayo. Yummy!

o

What a nice variety of Deviled Eggs. I usually put in what I feel like having at the time. What I was looking for and didn't find was Deviled Eggs using sugar. I had a friend that made hers that way and everyone seemed to love them. Personally I didn't care for sweet without the tang (as in a sweet pickle relish). I have since questioned others and no one else had heard of adding sugar either. She used mayo, salt and pepper and sugar.

o

I make mine similar to others I use mayonnaise a tiny bit of mustard, salt and pepper, sweet pickles=Bread and Butter pickles and paprika sometimes. I like the idea of using bacon sounds yummy. Why not add Turkey bacon-I like that!!
Of course the bacon is already fried and tore into pieces.
The chili powders sound ok. I would have to go mildly with that.

My mother's eggs didn't have mustard in them and she just called them "Stuffed eggs". So I guess they must have something hot like chili powders, or mustard etc. to be considered "Deviled eggs".
~Lynn~

o

My Mom always put a bit of curry powder in her deviled eggs (I do the same). Finally saw a recipe in some fancy magazine. But I've always wondered where she got that idea from. She's gone now, so I can't ask her, but she was originally from Baltimore. Any clues?

o

According to Websters, one definition of deviled is "to highly season". Just a bit of trivia to enhance your browsing experience :)

o

I will have to say that sue bee has the best answer to this holiday season!!!! ROFL - might make things a little nicer at SIL's if she eats about a dozen of them made this way.

Mara, I am going to try your recipe (especially since it was your Mom's recipe) My mom made the BEST macaroni salad. Will post in another thread.

Who knew that deviled eggs would get such a response!!! I love all the different recipes for these.

o

My recipe is the same as No 1 only I add sugar mmmTheyre gone in no time

o

Here's my recipe, from my Mom of course.
I'm guessing at the amounts, cuz I just do it my taste and consistency, but lets say you're doing a dozen eggs:
Miracle Whip, not mayo: 3/4 to a cup (that's a guess, start small, you can always add more)
Finely chopped sweet pickles: 2 tablespoons
A little of the pickle juice: 1 tablespoon
Just a small squirt of yellow mustard: 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon
Sugar: 2 teaspoons to start
From here it's just how sweet you like it, and use the type of pickles you like the best. This is the same "sauce" my Mom used for potato salad too, only she added celery seed to the mixture.
Hope you like.

o

I just put some salt in the water at the begin and then when it is done i drain that water and add cold water a couple of times and then empty that and then put the lid back on and shake the pot and then i pell them and i have never have any trouble pelling them.
Ilene

o

I just found this long-lasting deviled egg thread! Thought you'd all be interested in the beautiful colored deviled eggs that DanaIN does on the Cooking Forum.

Here is a link that might be useful: Colored Deviled Eggs

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Outdoors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here