SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mara_gw

RECIPE: Famous Deviled Eggs

Mara
24 years ago

This isn't exactly BBQ made food..but it is a MUST for any outdoor dining day..so I'm including it anyways. I don't want to sound conceited...but I say "famous" because in my circle of friends, I certainly am famous for my deviled eggs! I think people invite me to BBQ's just because they know I won't attend one without making deviled eggs. The recipe is simple and tastes GREAT with standard BBQ fare. I even make them for Christmas get togethers, since the paprika on top makes them look quite festive.

The recipe is very simple and I know some people like to add other things like celery or green onions to their deviled eggs, but try this recipe and see if you don't like it better. I've had lots of types of deviled eggs with all kinds of diff things in them..and so far I think these are the best. Maybe it's because this is my mom's recipe and I grew up on these things, but whatever it is, I love them.

I don't cook with measurings usually..mostly its just by taste and eye. So you might have to improvise where I don't give you #'s below. You can't really go wrong though..it all depends on your taste. Enjoy!!

Large or Medium Eggs

Regular yellow mustard

Mayo

Paprika

Salt to taste

Boil eggs, make sure to boil long enough so that egg yolks are hard inside, but not too hard. Then its harder to separate the egg from the shell. Run cold water into the pot and let the eggs sit in the pot for about 10 minutes to cool down a bit. Peel the eggs from their shell, I think this is really an art perfected over time, because if you wait too long, the shell starts to stick to the egg..and if you don't wait long enough, the egg is too hot to handle and still a bit infirm from boiling. I run the eggs under a barely warm stream of water from the tap, crack the top of the egg and then begin to peel from there. If I'm lucky the shell just peels off practically by itself. After peeling, cut eggs lengthwise and take out the yolk with a small spoon (or on a good day..the yolk sometimes pops out on its own quite neatly!). Place egg yolks in a bowl and hollowed out egg halfs on a plate. Mix mayo and mustard with egg yolks, mashing as you go along, until the mixture is the consistency you desire. Personally I don't like overly creamy deviled eggs, I like them to be a little chunky, seems like its a better texture. Mix in salt to taste. Spoon the mixture into the egg halfs, I use two spoons to do this since it seems easiest that way. Pile as high as you want into the eggs, sprinkle with paprika for added zing and color and transfer eggs to final party platter. Chill for about 2 hours if you like cold eggs.

Comments (43)

Sponsored