Return to the Cooking Outdoors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
side burner on gas grill useful or a gimmick?

Posted by elenal (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 24, 07 at 16:08

Hi: I'm finally going to spring for a good gas grill, after retiring a rusted out, 15-year old, poor performer. I'm going to get the Weber Genesis E-310 or 320 in copper(propane, 3 burners). I'm wondering if folks find that they use the side burner that comes with their grills? I'm wondering bec. I could bring down the cost by getting the 310 (the version w/o the side burner), but if it is a useful feature, then I'll go for the side burner. I was planning to get the one with the stainless steel rather than the porcelin-coated grates (mainly bec the salesperson said the SS would last a lot longer--don't know if this is true, but I was thinking that the porcelin would chip). I'm open to any reactions to that choice, too. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: side burner on gas grill useful or a gimmick?

i never use mine. All that about a pot of beans simmering is bs. I tried using it for blackened fish, but it doesn't get hot enough. I bought a free standing burner for that. got the pot to boil or fry in as well.

o

I don't have that type of bbq. My grill is separate from my burner. We do use the burner on a regular basis because it has a higher btu than any of my indoor burners. Great for use with my wok. My set up is basically an outdoor kitchen so everything is done outside so a burner is essential for making rice, sauces, etc. It just depends on how you use your set up.

o

thanks to you both for the reactions to my question. both experiences are very helpful.

o

My patio opens to my kitchen so my stove is very convenient. I have never had a side burner and never really missed it. I have had a Weber Genesis for years with the Porcelingrill and flavorizer bars. I like them because they are very easy to clean.. Over the past 18 years, I have replaced them four times.

o

Thanks-it does seem that the side burner is not nec. for me either bec. my kitchen is quite close to my deck.

o

I completely agree that the side burner is not essential. I have used mine 1 time in 3 years and it does have a higher btu. Empties the tank pretty fast if you use it. I do like the extra space it supplies as a side table though! I keep my uncooked items on the left and remove finished foods to the right. Comes in handy to have those two surfaces.

o

We have a built in grill, so they are not side burners but built in burners. Ours are Viking and we use them all the time. Our indoor cooktop is electric and I prefer gas for certain preparations. Ours is a double burner and it gets lots of use.

o

You might consider geting a plug in Cook Tec conduction burner. You waoun't be able to leave it out but the you wouldn't have to worry about wind blowing on the flames.

o

I had one but I never used it. It also wasn't very high BTU. Instead I bought a 3 burner camp stove and that thing COOKS. It's great for making blackened food. But truly, I don't even use it as often as I thought I would.

o

We use ours all the time. Even though my kitchen is right there, if we are entertaining outdoors it would be really inconvenient to have to go in because I need something done on the stove.

If we do steaks, I'll use it for frying onion & mushrooms. We also use it to do corn on the cob a lot, or any sauces or gravies needed. I couldn't imagine not having one.

o

I use a side burner for things like bacon for the burgers or when I make wings I alternate between the grill and the boiling sauce. I guess it depends on how you like to cook. For me I could use an oven too. I hate to heat up the house during those AZ summers.

o

I love my side burner. We stay in a campground over the summer in Maine and use it all the time. It's great for corn or anything that would heat up the house.

o

I've used mine once or twice in several years. I have no real use for one. I found it simpler to do things inside that required a burner (beans, sauce, etc) since my kitchen is so close.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Outdoors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here