SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
steve_a_gw

Happy Times Outdoors

steve_a
19 years ago

I wanted to share some good times and this seems to be the appropriate forum. First, I have to say that since we got our Weber gas grill in late spring, it has transformed our lives as far as time spent outdoors. That purchase spurred another, a 10 x 10 "gazebo" cover for our patio. ItÂs one of those with a metal frame and canvas top. It makes the patio so much more comfortable, like an outdoor room. Anyway, we invited a family over that we only manage to visit with once or twice a year. Both of our families have kids going off to college soon and we wanted to get them all together. A Hawaiian party was planned, with Hal bringing the makings of authentic Mai TaiÂs and we providing appropriate pseudo-Hawaiian food like teriyaki chicken with pineapple. With room for only 4 to 6 at the table proper, the kids were happy at their table out on the lawn, where the appetizers and Tiki torches were. Until it started raining. We quickly learned just how many people could crowd around the table, under the canopy. I was busily cooking, but alas the Weber had been moved slightly outside of the canopy to make more space. I got a nice torrent down my back every time I tended the grill, but no matter. The chicken turned out to be delicious and cooked to perfection (no false modesty here), and everyone had a great time. Earlier, my wife had searched the markets for little paper umbrellas for the Mai TaiÂs, to no avail. It turns out that Hal didnÂt want them, being a purist in all things. He had learned to make Mai TaiÂs from a bartender on Waikiki Beach. During the deluge, he complained that water was dripping into his drink. Upon which his daughterÂs boyfriend replied, "Well, thatÂs why you want the umbrellas!" And so the evening happily went.

Comments (4)

Sponsored