Return to the Cooking Outdoors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Happy Times Outdoors

Posted by Steve_A (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 20, 04 at 13:19

I wanted to share some good times and this seems to be the appropriate forum. First, I have to say that since we got our Weber gas grill in late spring, it has transformed our lives as far as time spent outdoors. That purchase spurred another, a 10 x 10 "gazebo" cover for our patio. Its one of those with a metal frame and canvas top. It makes the patio so much more comfortable, like an outdoor room. Anyway, we invited a family over that we only manage to visit with once or twice a year. Both of our families have kids going off to college soon and we wanted to get them all together. A Hawaiian party was planned, with Hal bringing the makings of authentic Mai Tais and we providing appropriate pseudo-Hawaiian food like teriyaki chicken with pineapple. With room for only 4 to 6 at the table proper, the kids were happy at their table out on the lawn, where the appetizers and Tiki torches were. Until it started raining. We quickly learned just how many people could crowd around the table, under the canopy. I was busily cooking, but alas the Weber had been moved slightly outside of the canopy to make more space. I got a nice torrent down my back every time I tended the grill, but no matter. The chicken turned out to be delicious and cooked to perfection (no false modesty here), and everyone had a great time. Earlier, my wife had searched the markets for little paper umbrellas for the Mai Tais, to no avail. It turns out that Hal didnt want them, being a purist in all things. He had learned to make Mai Tais from a bartender on Waikiki Beach. During the deluge, he complained that water was dripping into his drink. Upon which his daughters boyfriend replied, "Well, thats why you want the umbrellas!" And so the evening happily went.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Happy Times Outdoors

Steve, I don't pop over here very often since we don't really grill very much but I'm glad I came over here today because I enjoyed your story so much! It really is a happy outdoor story! I loved the Mai Tai umbrella segment and the young man's comment, very funny:)

Come on over and visit "Cooking" and the "Recipe Exchange" - there are lots of recipes and conversation floating around.

o

Thanks, Woodie! I don't think this forum gets many responses because it's members-only. I'm glad I paid my membership as I enjoy the freedom to post everywhere. I'm not nearly as active here on Gardenweb as I used to be. Once the kitchen and bathroom remodels were done, it was on to college planning for our oldest. Therefore, I'm spending a lot of time at College Confidential these days. But I'll stop by the two forums that you recommended. Steve

o

Hey Steve,
Come on over to the cooking forum - we even talk about college there! My daughter is leaving for college this fall and so is the daughter of at least one of our other members, we've gotten a lot of advice and support already.

Your stories will be appreciated there!
Cindy

o

A little show and tell...

That's my outdoor kitchen.

And the latest creation.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Outdoors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here