Return to the Cooking Outdoors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Baby Back Ribs on a Weber Charcoal?

Posted by motorfamilymotorcity (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 6, 08 at 11:38

I've been advised to boil the ribs for about an hour before grilling them - and that has worked, but a lot of the juice seems to get boiled off.

Has anyone got any advice on how best to grill ribs, using charcoal, that doesn't take a million hours?

I'll be blogging the results.......

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Baby Back Ribs on a Weber Charcoal?

It kind of comes down to you can have it good or you can have it fast but you can't have it good and fast. The fastest way I know of is to cook the ribs in a smoker at about 225 degrees for about two hours making sure they get plenty of smoke. Then wrap well in heavy duty foil and put on a baking sheet and put in 300-325 degree oven until meat is tender and a rib will move easily ,probably about an hour. Remove ribs and let rest, still in the foil, for at least 30 minutes.
Boiling the ribs first can get you lynched in some parts of the country. It will speed up the process but ruins the meat.

o
RE: Baby Back Ribs on a Weber Charcoal?

motorfamilymotorcity,

Concur with paddy99 on boiling (get a rope as they say on the PACE piquante commercial). I have a couple of BGE and smoke them also takes about 4-6 hours depending on dome temp 210 - 250 degrees.

However on my weber kettle I set it up for and indirect cook with a drip pan under the racks of ribs. At the start of the cook I have the bottom vents half way open and dome vents fully open. I have found this to be around 350 degrees or hotter. I grill the ribs bone side down membrane removed for about 50 minutes at this point I take a look at them and if the meat has pulled back a quarter to half inch I sauce them and put them back in the grill for another 10-15 minutes. Sauce them at the end of the cook if you desire to avoid burning the sugar in the sauce. They are tender but do not pull off the bones as easily as truely smoked ribs do. They are pretty darn good though.

Don't know if you have the rotisserie ring for you kettle if you do you might want to try ribs done this way. Not the tradional smoked flavor but darn good also.

Very Respectfully,
Jeff
GO NAVY!!!!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Outdoors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here