Return to the Cooking Outdoors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
'Professional' Grill at Home Depot Expo

Posted by jason_p1jlc2 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 19, 02 at 10:52

Has anyone seen this grill? It appears to be of fairly good quality. All stainless construction (although the salesperson didn't know which grade of it was, any way to tell???), stainless grates, etc. I was told that it was made by Char Broil.

The down side is that it does not have a side burner. Also, the burners are cast iron (which I suppose has both advantages and disadvantages).

Anyone own/see this grill? I am currently comparing it to the Virco, but my Costco doesn't have any at the moment (should be getting more according to the manager).

Oh, it's priced at $799, just like the Virco.

Thanks! Jason

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 'Professional' Grill at Home Depot Expo

Yes! I saw this grill about a week ago when buying a black (thank you Expo) patio umbrella. Looked interesting enough from 10 feet away and we rushed up to it for inspection. There is absolutely zero comparison to the Virco. The lid is feather light in comparison, the BTUs are very low, thin stainless, single walls on doors, etc. We actually chuckled about the disparities. It does look pretty, but the specs aren't there. Given they are the same price - I wouldn't think twice about going with the Virco. Just my opinion, but I did check out that grill.

o
RE: 'Professional' Grill at Home Depot Expo

I owned one for three months and just sold it. I am going to buy the large Y0660 from Sams.

The grill performed well, could peg the hood thermometer of 600F. The grates are very heavy stainless.

But....the flame tamers are regular steel as is the rear IR panel. The rear panel didn't bother me but the flame tamer plates probably won't last long. The weakest part of the grill was the design of the drip pan. It is very difficult to use and often falls out of its track when sliding it in or our. It is a very poor design. If I kept the grill I was going to have it replaced with stainless steel from a local metal fabricator. The cost would have been about $100.00. Also, the hood was a folded design with spot welds but I will say that it never discolored on the outside for the 3 months that I owned it.

To me, the Virco is far superior. I planned on buying that until I looked at the Y0660 at Sams. I am going to buy that one instead, even if it isn't ALL stainless. The grill and cart is so solid I will upgrade the few non-stainless parts when the time comes. It's basically a $5K grill for $1500.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Outdoors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here