Return to the Cooking Outdoors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Building a grill island, outdoor kitchen

Posted by kathymichigan (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 14, 08 at 10:45

I've been searching for some pictures of outdoor kitchens on this website and I'm shocked I'm not seeing any at all.
Someone please send in your pictures!

I'd like to construct a built-in island on my deck. I have purchased two books, but I'd like to see some real-life applications and experiences. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Building a grill island, outdoor kitchen

So would I. I am also looking for a resonable drop in grill. Do you have any suggestions? I am very surprised that there is so little info on outdoor kitchens in the forums. Or we are looking in the wrong place.

o

I had one built, but it's pretty small. It's got a raised bar and is in an L shape. It's possible to put 6 bar stools there, but I have 4 only. The other two are at a bar high teak accent table on the other side of the pool. The counters and bar are covered with granite. It looks lovely, BUT no one can sit there too often because granite is HOT in the summer, and FREEZING in the winter. I'd use something else. I do put place mats on there for guests, but if you accidentally put your hand on the granite.. shudder!!

I have a sink with only cold water. The drop in grill is by Pacific Gas Specialties, Model K-40 Ultra. has a nice rotisserie with infra red heat and it works great! We have had no problems with it in 5 years!!

If I did it over, I'd have some side burners. The refrigerator is certified by UL for outdoor use. That's important, and the Fridge is great!

The entire thing was built in blocks and plastered and painted. On the bar side, I had 20" tile strips glued on for kick protection from those who sit there. This is a good feature. Looks great and is functional.

If I did it over, I'd have the storage under the BBQ with removable shelves. Now and then you have to get under there. Shelves are nice, but we left ours dirt because we didn't think of removable shelves. We keep wood chips in there and stuff like that.

Oh, and of course I have the mandatory umbrella. We live in the desert, and get some mighty winds now and then, so the poor umbrella is pretty thrashed. I still use the part that works. One side hangs there all broken, but I think it lends character!

There are electric outlets in it, so we bring lamps out there at night. If I did it over, I'd have built in overhead lighting.... Like 3 corner poles connected by a funky hanging light thing. Too late to do that now.

Sorry I don't have a picture to post, but you get the drift! Yours are probably already built, but I decided to bump this one up just in case.......

Happy Grilling!

o

OK here is a picture of our "outdoor kitchen". HE thinks it's a grill! I think it's a kitchen!!

You'll have to copy and paste this link because I have no clue how to post a pic. Here is the link:
http://i430.photobucket.com/albums/qq26/DesertDance/Built-inBBQFridgeSinkGraniteBar.jpg

o

I would suggest you peruse the BBQ Source Forums - they have an extensive outdoor kitchen area.

Here is a link that might be useful: BBQ Source Forums

o

Hi Kathy,

I recently built my outdoor kitchen and ordered and planned everything online. There is a great store online called as http://chooseoutdoorkitchens.com. Its a great place to plan you design exactly by the kind of space you have as their site offers islands by the size. Also they have customized models with the kind of storage and facilities you are looking for. You can really create the best outdoor kitchen in the neighborhood with all their products, equipments and accessories. Not only that they also have such good customer service and make online ordering so easy and convenient.

Here is a link that might be useful: chooseoutdoorkitchens.com

o

That chooseoutdoorkitchens is a rip off! Any contractor can build what they have for 1/3 of the price! I'm sorry Kathy, but you got ripped off big time!

My kitchen cost less than 5K including the Gas BBQ with rotisserie, sink, Umbrella, electricity, refrigerator, storage, granite counters, bar stools and cushions.... OH MY!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Outdoors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here