Return to the Cooking Outdoors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Propane v. Natural Gas

Posted by wood_chick (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 14, 06 at 17:02

I have always had a built in Barbecue (Aussie Turbo 5 burner)that used Natural Gas. I am re-doing my back yard and am considering a portable BBQ v. a built in. The option of extra off-season patio space is making me look into models that offer the option of either natural gas or propane.
To those of you who have used both, is there a difference in the cooking/heat/taste between these two gas options?
The brands I am considering are "Fire Magic" and "Lynx". Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Propane v. Natural Gas

LP and NG aren't too different. However, they're different enough that you need a manifold designed for the fuel type. All quality grills will cook the same regardless of whether you choose LP or NG because they ship with the appropriate plumbing for that fuel type. Just make sure you choose the one you really want because it's a little expensive to convert after the fact.

You have an off-season?!? :-\

o
RE: Propane v. Natural Gas

The different gases require different orifices and possibly regulators (if the house pressure isn't what's spec'd for the particular grill and gas). When you change orifices you also often have to adjust the flame via the shutters.

Lynx I know requires changing orifices. Fire magic may not, but I would ask them what is involved in switching between gases. Cooking products which work off both gases without orifice changes will not perform identically both gases.

If you're mechanically inclined and comfortable with this sort of work, it might not be too bad. Note that the conversion kits typically cost $60-200, depending on whether the hose and regulator are included or not.

Personally, after having a grill that't connected to the house supply we would never go back to a portable LP tank.

Michelle

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Outdoors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here