Return to the Cooking Outdoors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
3 burner or 4 burner grill?

Posted by californiaplaya (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 2, 08 at 16:32

I think I've got my grill choice narrowed down to a couple of Ducanes. What little information I can find about them seems to be fairly favorable.

But now I'm stuck between either three or four main burners. I'd be mainly cooking for myself and sometimes one or two others. I obviously wouldn't need the additional grill space. But would there be any specific reason, besides occasionally cooking for more people, that four burners would be beneficial over three?

I'm thinking for the same amount as the four burner, I'd be better off getting the three burner with the side burner and rotisserie. Even though I don't see myself using either of those much, especially the rotisserie, maybe thats a new skill that I can learn, instead of just having an additional burner, which will just be there.

But I'd like to hear what those who have more experience than I think. Guess I should throw in that this will be my first grill. The only grilling I've done in the past was over charcoal, so this will definitely be a new experience for me.

Thanks!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 3 burner or 4 burner grill?

check out www.bbqguys.com. They have videos on many of their grills. And videos on various grill parts and their relative qualities.

The main thing is how well the burners cover the 'flame tamers' and how they both cover the grill surface. Good even flame distribution is what you want, and if 4 burners gives you that, then you'll be happier: no cold spots or hot spots.

o

First on the Ducane, I believe I read they were bought by Weber and now made in China. http://bbq.about.com/cs/grills/bb/aabyb042503.htm

I have never found a use for a side burner, except for boiling and deep fat frying in large pots that is NOT recommended. I now have a separate stand-alone gas burner that is much safer and more convenient. As to the 'spit', never had one because I couldn't imagine it would be any better than just indirect cooking.

Now, 3 or 4 burners. Have always used 3 burners, and cook for 6 regularly and double that frequently. For size of your 'family' you could probably get by with a 2-burner but 3-burner provides flexibility for indirect cooking(roasts, ribs, beer can chicken, etc.).

o

Yep, Weber now owns Ducane 100%. Thats what interests me in them. And you are right, their low end Affinity models are made in China, as are Weber's Spirits and grills by a lot of manufacturers. I went and looked at a Ducane yesterday and I liked what I saw. Build quality seems to be good and reviews from new and long time owners are favorable. Combine that with Weber/Ducane great customer service and parts availability and that is what I'm going to go with.

Specifically, I'm going to get a Ducane Affinity 3400. That is a three burner with a side burner, rotisserie and additional rotisserie burner and smoke box. Should do what I need and more at a decent price and last a while.

Thanks for the input!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Outdoors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here