Return to the Cooking Outdoors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Building a Smoker

Posted by Nonnie_GA (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 5, 05 at 16:26

We have used our commercial smoker to death and now my husband wants to build one from a 50 gallon barrel. Does anyone know how to do this or know where to find directions? Don't tell hubby I'm asking because he thinks he knows how to do it so, in case he doesn't, I'll just make a "suggestion" on how to do it. All help is appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Building a Smoker

here is a couple links:
http://www.thesmokering.com/pits/metalpit/bigbaby/default.jsp

Rich

Here is a link that might be useful: Here is another good one

o

I wouldnt suggest a drum smoker for a number of reasons, but mostly because the metal is too thin to last any length of time. If you do make one, however, I would make sure I knew what all has been in that barrel. It could have previously contained a substance that could be toxic, and that could transfer to the meat you cook.

You can find a decent New Braunfels style smoker for under $200.

Here is a link that might be useful: New Braunfels Smokers

o

You should look up Pits and Spits out of Houston, people buy these from all over the world - can be made custom.

If your husband is 1 heck of a blacksmith/welder who does beautiful work, he should give it a try. However, I would judge from your question that my sentence 1 or other similar advice be followed.

o

I think you should let your husband build his smoker. I've built a few and it's lots of fun.

There is a lot of information on the Internet about how to do this.

just my 2 pesos worth...

Best Regards,
Bruce (Junkmanme in New Mexico)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Outdoors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here