Return to the Cooking Outdoors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
mislabelled Baker's and Chefs grill from Sam's

Posted by mytb72 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 20, 02 at 12:59

I recently bought the Baker's and Chefs grill at Sam's
with the so call advertisement "updated design" and porcelain coated cast-iron.
What i got is cast-iron grid instead of what was stated on the box.
You can also see the specs online @ www.samsclub.com.
Is that considered as false advertisement?

I spoke with Grand Hall customer service manager.
They respond that the porcelain coated cast-iron grid was
discontinued since Jan 2002. They don't plan to
order any more from their supplier unless there is
a "high demand". Funny I asked, "What is your
definition of 'high demand'?". Their response,
about 250 or more complaints. Sam's supervisor hasn't
return my call yet on the mis-labelling.

Hmmm, if I wait until they have enough complaints,
they may send me one. With all the bad rap I've been
hearing about Bakers & Chefs, they will probally sell about
100 grills a year. Assuming 100% complaints, I'll get my
porcelain coated grid in 2 1/2 years!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: mislabelled Baker's and Chefs grill from Sam's

That is probably true, however, if I were you I would be glad that you have the cast iron and not the porcelin. The cast iron (after properly seasoned) will give you years of trouble free service. They cook better in my opinion too. The porcelin on the other hand can, and most likely will, chip in time. When it does, then you got a real problem. When cast iron and porcelin heat up and cool down, they have different expansion and contraction rates, so consequently the porcelin cracking is inevitable and I am sure that is why they discontinued the use of it.
Just out of curiousity, didn't they have one on the floor for you to look at and notice the material the grates were made of? Every Sam's I have been to has the B&C model on the floor. If they did, why would you want the porcelin grates if you knew it came with cast iron? Unless you were jsut trying to get them on a technicality, just wondering.

o

Sam's did have the display with the cast-iron grid.
But what I want is what states on the box, a porcelain-coated cast-iron grid.
Basically what they say on the box is not what they have in the box.

Doesn't cast-iron grid by itself rusts?

o

Not if properly seasoned. The key is, you never wash these with soap & water, you always oil them when you are done cleaning them. Don't take the shortcut of spraying "Pam" on them, it will eventually make a build up. A nice oil like Wesson is great, just use your basting brush to apply it whenever you clean them. It may seem like an extra step and people generally don't do this, and then they rust. That is why the porcelin on steel is so popular. But after it cracks, its not very fun to deal with. I think you got the better end of the deal. If you would like to learn how to season your grates properly go to:
http://www.dutchovencookware.com/lodge-cookware.html
good luck.

o

I am just wondering about your statement "with all the bad rap I've been hearing about Bakers and Chefs". What bad rap is that. I am only hearing raves about their service. When I ordered my optional accessories to the Member's Mark Grill I was impressed with the knowledge and personality of the girl taking my order. Everyone says that all you need to do is tell them the trouble and they send a new part. Maybe there is another board out there that I am not acquainted with. I also agree with the other poster in that porcelain coated grids crack and then the rust starts in the cracks and it chips off.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Outdoors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here