Return to the Cooking Outdoors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cooking ribs on a gas grill ??

Posted by cookingrvc (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 10, 02 at 12:53

I posted this on the cooking forum, then realized there's a lot of expertise here as well.

I have a gas grill and would like to cook babybacks and country pork (the real thick ribs)ribs so that they're moist and tender.

I would most appreciate your tried and true methods for these cuts.

TIA,
Sue

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cooking ribs on a gas grill ??

Here are two ways that i do my baby back ribs. I don't use BBQ sauce on mine.

Greek Style.

Rub ribs with fresh crushed garlic, dried oregano, salt, pepper, a bit of olive oil and the juice of a fresh squeezed lemon. Let sit for about an hour. Pat dry, rub with a bit of oil and grill turning often until done. Takes somewhere around 30 to 40 minutes. Time can vary depending on thickness or meatiness of ribs.

Cajun Style.

Mix together Garlic Powder, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper and rub into ribs. Let sit for a few hours or overnight.

Pat dry and rub with a bit of olive oil. Grill until done.

Enjoy.

Ann.

o

For the most tender ribs that will fall off of the bone, try cooking them in a crock pot first for severeal hours until almost done. Then, put them on the grill just to finish them. Use any seasoning you like, with or without BBQ sauce. You will love them. Good luck.

bsbbq

o

If your grill can be turned down very low, you can cook them directly on the grates. The Member's Mark will accommodate this.

Another way is to put them on a spit and use the rotisserie. The indirect heated ones are pretty safe on the ribs. If you use the burner below the ribs keep watch for flare ups.

o

Thanks all.

bsbbq: How long would I need to crockpot country pork ribs ? I was thinking maybe around 6 hours? These are the very thick ones. I figure babybacks would be around 4 hours.

What do you think?

Sue

o

I think that would be a good place to start Sue. Alot depends on your crock pot wattage, qty of ribs, etc... I have a large oval one that I use. I cooked country style pork ribs in there for about 5-6 hours so that may be good for you too. Then just put them on the grill over low, low heat and a little sauce if you like. When I cooked mine in the crock pot I use a couple garlic cloves smashed up and a bottle of bbq sauce. Came out great. Good luck.

bsbbq

o

Thanks all for your responses.

Just wanted to let you know what I did and how the ribs came out.

Since my Dad is a diabetic I wanted to make some without the barbeque sauce. I used Ann's method of oil, garlic, and oregano, and added fresh lemon thyme and thyme.

I made two different types of ribs, back ribs and country pork ribs. I pre-cooked in a crockpot (Per bsbbq's suggestion) those that I was to put BBQ sauce on. The country ribs went in one pot, the back ribs in another.

For those with no BBQ sauce, I cooked them (tightly covered with foil) in the oven on 325X for 3 hours (2 for the back ribs).

They were very tender (although the back ribs needed weren't AS tender as the country ribs).

I finished them off on the grill.

Delicious.

Thanks.
Sue

o
Best ribs on a gas grill ??

I cook a fair number of ribs on my Member's Mark grill and many folk have said they are the best they've had.

I take the ribs and par boil them in water for 20-30 minutes until the meat is tender. I usually add a little (3/4 cup - 1 cup) of white vinegar, salt, black and red pepper, onion powder and garlic powder to the water as well.

In the last 10-15 minutes of boiling, I fire up all three burners on the grill. I put a smoker box with wood chips on one burner and wait till it starts to smoke. At that point, I turn off the center burner and turn the outer two down to medium (or if I have more meat to cook, I leave the center on and turn off the other two) - just make sure the smoker box is on a lit burner - put the meat on the unlit burner and let it cook for 10-15 minutes. Then add some bbq sauce, cook a little more, flip and baste the other side. If you like the meat crispy, you can turn one of the burners back to high and once at temp, sear it for flavor (not to hold in moisture as it will already be falling off the bone).

Give it a try.

o

I deceided to try something a little different for my ribs today and figured I would let you all in on it. I won't know until later if they come out alright, but I will update after i try them out....

Pre Boil

1 Rack Pork Ribs
1 Medium mango cut large
1 Tbsp Fresh Chopped Garlic
2 Tbsp Chopped Onion
4 Tbsp Honey
2 Tsp Crushed red Pepper

1 Rack Pork Ribs
2 Tbsp Crushed red Pepper
2 Tbsp Fresh Chopped Garlic
2 Tbsp Chopped Onion
1 Tsp Italian Seasoning
2 Tbsp Everglades Seasoning
1 Cup Open Pit BBQ Sauce

I will update later with the results from the grill!!!

o

I put mine in the oven (2 packs of ribs) at 300 degrees for about 3 hours moving them around every 30 - 40 minutes then place them on the grill with barbaque sauce for about 10 - 15 minutes. They come out nice and tender. I put a dry rub on of garlic powder, season salt and pepper. Sometimes I don't even do the sauce.

I haven't tryed the crock pot ribs but will next time I make them because that sounds really good.

o

I cook my ribs on my gas grill. I have a five burner grill which is great because it gives me plenty of space to get the ribs away from the direct heat source. I start by peeling the film off the inside of the rack of ribs. This film tends to get crispy and tough and really adds nothing for flavor or function. I do a dry rub on both sides and wrap the ribs tightly in aluminum foil to sit overnight in the refrigerator. I use a cookie pan with the cooling rack in it and place the ribs on it meat side up. I place this all the way to one side of my grill and use only one burner on the opposite side of the grill. I make up foil pouches with previosuly soaked hickory or mesquite chips and place that directly on top of the heat diffuser that is over the flame. My grill has a chip tray, but I find that the foil packet with lots of fork holes punched in the top works much better. I mop my ribs with a 70/30 combination of apple cider vinegar and clover honey, respectively. Usually mopping 6-8 times in the process. I try to maintain an ambient temperature inside the grill of between 200-275 degrees, depending on how quickly I want them done. I do not recommend higher or lower temperatures than this. 1-2 average racks of ribs should be done in about 4 hours. Let me know what you think!

o

Throw ribs on gas grill for 60 mins on low / med low, flipping every 10 mins. Then, put them in a glass oven dish and soak them in sweet baby rays spicy BBQ sauce and cook on 350 for an hour. You will thank me later

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Outdoors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here