Return to the Cooking Outdoors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
marinades and glazes

Posted by Cocomartinez (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 8, 04 at 12:31

I don't actually use many marinades/glazes etc., but I'd like to. What confuses me is how to know how long to marinate something, and how long is too long. Are there ingredients that tip you off that you shouldn't leave the meat marinating for more than 2 hours or so?

Also - how do you keep glazes and sauces from burning while cooking?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: marinades and glazes

Typically I do not apply glazes or sauces until I am on the last 10-15 minutes of cooking.
Certain meats react with different marinates, fe like fish in just about anything. I generally rely on directions from books like The Weber Big Book of Grilling. It's best not to experiment.

o

Now I disagree....some of the best things I have made come from experimentation....but you have to know some basics.
Marinades containing lemon, lime, papya or pineapple tend to make the surface of the meat mushy in about 30 minutes......some marinate in a salt/vinegar spice marinade for several days and the food is wonderful.
A marinade of equal parts white vinegar and water....overnight with a pork roast, gives the meat a wonderful southern BBQ taste....chicken marinated for 2 days or more in buttermilk just gets better and better....a big chunk of beef, marinated in red wine, garlic and herbs is wonderful after having spent 4 days in the refrigerator being turned every 1/2 day.
Soy sauce, some brown sugar and prepared dijon mustard, brushed on chicken 1/2 an hour before baking....or lamb bafore grilling....Shrimp marinated in white wine and grated fresh ginger for about 24 hours is great.
Experiment!...That's the fun of cooking!
Linda C

o

Maybe if you have years of basic experience doing these sorts of things, experimentation is fine. When youre a hack like me and you try to get creative, you end up with food that is too salty, too mushy or just plain yucky. The extent of my experimentation is to find a similar recipe in my big book of grilling, and then substitute similar ingredients. Like instead of using halibut, I might use swordfish. I believe if you are not careful and you substitute halibut for chicken breast, you can make a bad tasting meal that might even make you sick.

I do this when I make chicken wings. I took the directions for spicy and sticky wings and I substituted the sugary ingredients with spicier ones. Like instead of sweet bbq sauce, I used hot bbq sauce. Instead of ketchup, I use some toung sauce. They are always a hit at a party.

o

LOL! Linda, I just came over here to check out this forum for the very first time and it sure looks like you have everything completely under control! Thumbs up girl.

Marilyn

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Outdoors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here