Return to the Cooking Outdoors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Virco now available on line at Costco.com

Posted by bsbbq (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 27, 02 at 12:26

Finally, for those of you interested, Costco has finally added the Virco to their online store. I guess it wasn't just a "Flash-in-the-pan" :o)

http://www.costco.com/frameset.asp?trg=product%2Easp&catid=114&subid=115&hierid=236&prdid=10023572&log=

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Virco now available on line at Costco.com

o
Wait a minute! It says it includes the tank?

My Virco didn't come with the propane tank. According to the product description on their web site it says it comes with a tank.

See for yourself:

"This grill can be used with both LP (liquid propane) and natural gas and comes equipped with a high-capacity hose/regulator assembly for connection to a standard 20-lb. low pressure tank (tank included)."

o

Good catch! I didn't notice that, but I am sure it is a typo. I didn't receive one either, but I converted to NG so I don't even really need it.

o
RE: Tank issue

I just got off the phone with Costco, they are going to research the "tank" issue and get back with me in 24-48 hours. I will post the findings here.

o

Wow! How about that!

o

I just checked the Costco web site and they have already fixed the typo to "Tank not included". That didn't take long :o)

o

Hi,

I saw that you had converted your Virco to NG. How was the procedure? Was it easy? Did u get a new regulator for it? I called the Virco Associate and ordered the conversion kit and the Rep said the kit does not come with a NG regulator. What else do we have to buy if we want to do the conversion? Please let me know the (detail) procedure and any additional parts that we need. Thanks.

o

Normally propane is delivered at high pressure from within the tank. Additionally, an overfull tank can dump liquid propane into the lines, which can then expand to gas and cause even higher pressures. Thus, a regulator is needed for propane appliances. Natural gas is supplie to homes at much lower pressures, and homes have a regulator at the gas meter to further lower it. So maybe that's why a NG regulator is not supplied with the conversion kit, and perhaps it is not needed.

o

Converting to NG was quite easy. You will need to obtain a hose to hook up the grill to your gas line. I purchased mine at Home Depot. It is made by Charbroil, is a 12' long hose that attached directly to the grill on one end and has a quick disconnect fitting on the other end. The fitting has a female 3/8" pipe fitting on it, so if you have a standard 1/2" pipe stub, all you need is a reducer and some thread tape.

I personally didn't use a regulator. Some people feel it is helpful in maintaining a certain pressure, but I haven't seen a need for one. I installed a gas pool heater a couple of years ago and didn't put one on there either, no problems with that. After all, I think that is one thing the gas meter does for all of your appliances anyway.

The kit that you will get from Virco should contain all new valves with the orifices in them already. I am not sure why they do that, the valves seem the same and the orifices just screw in. You will also get a new "cage" for the side burner that mounts underneath it. The easiest way, for me at least, was to first remove the knobs from the front of the grill (after of course turning off, disconnecting, and removing the lp tank). Then, if you look under the edge of the control panel, you will need to undo the lp hose, the fitting for the side burner, and the fitting for the rear burner. Once you remove these, then disassemble the ignitors. This is done by simply unscrewing the buttons and removing the batteries, then unscrew the plastic nuts that hold the ignitor assemblies to the front panel, remove the assemblies from the rear of the panel and let hang. Now, you can remove the four screw (two on each end) of the front panel, and the panel will come off.
With the panel off you can now replace the valves. You will need to disassemble the side burner to replace that orifice, it is pretty strait forward. The rear burner orifice needs to be replaced as well. Just remove the cover on the rear of the bbq (two screws). I Hope this helps, I am sure you will find it easy.

o
Size of gas pipe fitting on Virco?

Great information bsbbq. Is the fitting on the Virco 3/8" or is it 1/2"? I know some connector hoses are available in both sizes. Getting a quick-connect outlet makes using the grill a lot easier. Thanks for any additional information

o

Since propane carries 2.5 times the BTU's that NG does, the new orifices (or jets) for natural gas are probably larger than the ones for propane. The valving may be different to allow for a larger total amount of gas to flow to the jets, not sure on that one either. Perhaps the low setting is a bit higher than that for propane, as well.

Sounds like a piece of cake. Except Charbroil grills tend to be less powerful than grills like the Virco. I wonder if a 3/8" fitting allows enough gas to get to the grill for all three main burners (60,000 BTU) but I guess if you say it's ok, it's ok ;-).

o

Spambdamn_rich,
I was worried about that hose size myself but the inside of the hose is 5/16" which is the same size as the manifold on the grill that it hooks up to. I haven't had any problem yet. I have had all three of my burners on high and the side burner on, and still easily reached 450+.

Technimac,
The one end of the Charbroil hose is 3/8" flare fitting, which fits right where the LP hose is now on your grill. The other end is a quick disconnect fitting which has female 3/8" pipe threads. The 1/2" I was referring to is the standard size that most stubs might be if you already have one. I didn't have a line run, but I ran a 1/2" line in my basement about 25' to the outside wall, then came through the siding with a six inch strait piece. Outside I used an "elbow" pointing down. The elbow was also a reducer, one end with 1/2" pipe threads, the other with 3/8" pipe threads, then I just used a short 1" piece of 3/8" pipe, threaded on both ends, to go into the elbow, then the quick disconnect fitting that came with the hose simply attaches there on the short nipple. All joints received a generous supply of teflon pipe tape and plenty of torque. After I was complete, I turned the gas back on to my house and checked all the joints with a soapy water solution in a spray bottle. If there is a leak, the gas will "blow a bubble" in the solution.

Hope this helps, good luck.

o

bsbbq,

thanks so much for the detailed procedure. So we have to disconnect and remove the LP regulator and its hose and replace the NG hose with it, no regulator needed (kind of dumb question but I have never play with any kind of GAS before).

You deserve the CGE title more than that obnoxious self proclaimed person. :P

Again, thanks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Outdoors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here