Return to the Cooking Outdoors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOOKING for: Easy/Cold Dinner?

Posted by amts (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 14, 04 at 11:57

Going down Grand Canyon one day and hiking out the next
(husband's idea, don't look at me!)

Mules haul everything down and back up.
Seems silly to bring cook stove and propane, yet how do I keep 4 adults and one 8 year old fed and ready for the return hike???

Thanks... AM

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LOOKING for: Easy/Cold Dinner?

How about pre-grilling some chicken, bring a bagged caesar salad and have Grilled Chicken Caesars?
Sub sandwiches are always easy and good.
Quiche can be made ahead and either eaten cold or warmed in foil over a fire.
Bratwurst can be roasted over a campfire, serve with marinated vegetables.

Linda

o

If you like to bar-b-que you need to check out this web site. I was looking for a nice pit and I came across this site. Go to www.grilltrap.com This is the coolest.

o

Maybe your hubby could fashion several holders to hold the small canned heat cans under a flat piece of tin, to heat up anything you need heated. Those cans are used by caterers to keep things warm on the serving line.
Go ask a catering company where they get them. Or a sporting goods/ camping supply store.
There is also a small propane stove that takes the small cylinders, the cylinders set in it at an angle, and it has a grate/ grill on top, to set a pan or skillet on!
I would think the outfitters who take you down into the canyon would be the ones to ask about what kind of fire is permissible! Best to check beforehand, otherwise eating cold soup and sandwiches will be yer fate!
I also have seen a flat, folding propane stove, that doesn't take up much room in a pack. It has only one burner, but it heats everything very quickly. check the camping magazines, too.
by: Rustyj

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Outdoors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here