Return to the Cooking Outdoors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
selecting a grill

Posted by eandhl (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 12, 08 at 10:37

I am looking at grills. Just two of us 80% of the time, 4 of us another 15% of the time and about 5% party. Oh, we do have a wood outdoor FP bbq for parties too.
We do grill lots of veggies, chicken breasts and fish. Might be a rare steak or pork tenderloin too.
Our needs don't seem to justify the $500 and up range but I am looking at the Weber Spirit 200 and 300. I did a search but very little mentioned on these grills and I know little about gas grills. Can anyone offer any info on these or what you think would be good choice seeing our needs? TIA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: selecting a grill

I understand where you are coming from. Only two of us and we grill alot in the spring - summer - fall. Occassionally, we grill for more when we have a party or the boys & families come over.

I got a Napolean 450RBI last father's day. More than $500.00 but worth every penny. I especially like infrared burner for steaks and burgers. The logic was a get a good one that will last at least 10 to 15 years and cover all your grilling needs.

Weber makes excellent grills but I would look at their higher priced lines. You do get alot of bang for your buck.

Enjoy the journey.
eal51 in western CT

o

We are from CT too, never heard of a Napolean. I will look around more. Do you think the Spirits are made cheaply?
I do the know infrared is great broiling. My DCS range has it. It just seems like so much money for a couple of Chicken breasts or a summer squash. That is what I usually do. Thanks for info.

o

IR is wonderful for grilling meats. The next best thing to time-consuming lump charcoal. The Napoleon is quality but can get pricey when you start adding IR units.

If you can afford $2k-$5000 on a grill, there are many great IR options. The only affordable brand I've seen advertise with IR cooking surface burners (as opposed to rotisserie) is Char-Broil. Their
"Commercial Series w/Quantum Infrared Grates" is 499 at Lowes. I can't speak to its quality but it's worth a look. If you are not use to the intense power of the IR burners, you might want to consider a grill with both traditional and IR burners.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Outdoors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here