Return to the Cooking Outdoors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ultra-Sear Stainless Steel Infrared Grill

Posted by joeboldt (My Page) on
Mon, May 26, 08 at 21:01

I'm looking for something that will provide a nice sear without having to buy an entirely new grill. Does anyone have any experience with this puppy? Seems like for $100 you couldn't lose

Thanks,
Joe

Here is a link that might be useful: Ultra-Sear Stainless Steel Infrared Grill

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ultra-Sear Stainless Steel Infrared Grill

Joe:
I bought one without first researching and wouldn't have if I had done my homework. I'll try to brief, but there's quite the story to these "grills". I did read the instruction book at the store and everything seemed fine, except there is no manufacturer name or address if one needed parts or advice. It is called a "Portable Infrared Grill" on the front cover. In the book, are instructions on how to sear AND grill different foods like "Bone-in Chicken--Total Cook Time 20-24 minutes". Not at all possible, as the IR heat source is too powerful, even on the lowest setting, for the small cabinet and the grill grate is too close and not adjustable. Everything I tried was burned to charcoal in just a few minutes. I called the store and they said the high return rate from this problem was why they were on clearance. The old "get what ya pay for" I guess.

I have since found many other dissatisfied former owners. The "Stainless Steel" is not the long lasting grade I thought it was (a magnet sticks, so will rust). The ceramic IR elements are not holding up (no warranty at all on the US). Thinking I was doing something wrong, I looked up "what is searing" and only found this technique used with a heavy hot pan or done on a flat top, never on a grill. The heavy pan method works fine, not sure why searing should be tried over an open burning flame??

Anyway, search around, ask at a good bbq store, ask friends before you buy, and make sure the store has a return policy. The US doesn't work well at searing and not at all for grilling. Hope this helped.

o

bbqman

Thanks for the reply and info. I was afraid you were going to say that ;) I did find several of these, under various names and prices. I did actually start to buy one, but I was going to have to have it shipped and the hoops you had to jump through were too many (fax a copy of your credit card, write a note, etc.) Yes, I agree with the "you get what you pay for" adage, but every once in a while there's an exception, so it doesn't hurt to ask!

Thanks
Joe

o

Guys, it sounds like the grill performed exactly as designed.

Infrared grills with open ceramic elements are a FANTASTIC hot heat source for cooking things like steaks. Items where you want a relatively cooked outside with a relatively uncooked inside.

These work great if used as intended AND require quite a learning curve.

I had an old TEC with open ceramic burners and it produced the best steaks I've ever had. The only way to cook things like corn on the cob was to put them around the peremeter. Same thing for chicken, as the direct infrared heat would burn the outside before the inside was done.

Also, for the first couple of weeks I had it, I probably ruined 50% of the items I cooked. Its THAT much more intense. But the learning curve is steep. When I did get it right, the stuff was the best I've ever had off of a gas grill.

So, in summary, it sounds like this grill performs exactly as intended and may represent a great value to the right user.

o

This is my third season using the Turbo Sport (by Barbeques Galore) portable IR grill and it's an amazing little grill. It looks very similar to the grill in the link. The little IR grill blows away traditional gas grills for meats and my four burner gas grill only gets used for larger gatherings. The Turbo Sport cost me around 200 and I ordered the optional large tank adapter.

I absolutely love this grill and use it several times a week from Spring thru Fall. Take it camping and tailgating. I live near the ocean and keep it partially covered under the edge or my large grill's cover - and in three years there is not a single inkling of rust anywhere on the unit or any other sort of damage or failure. That said, I can't recommend the Turbo Sport only because BBQ Galore is no longer making them. I called several weeks ago because a friend wanted one, and the CSR said that they are considering making them again.

The Turbo Sport, and I suppose the one you linked to, are knockoffs of the Solaire Anywhere Portable Infrared. THAT grill is in the $400 range and offered in two stainless grades and mounting options for boats. When I was shopping for these the Solaire got rave reviews - so if you don't mind spending the $, you can't really go wrong.

Good luck.

o

I have this grill and it works wonderfully...need some interior replacement parts; grill and elements. please advise. Thanks Sam

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Outdoors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here