Return to the Cooking Outdoors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Using Smoking Tray with Barbecue Grill

Posted by Sue__WA (My Page) on
Sun, May 1, 05 at 17:33

I just brought home a new BBQ grill. One of the first things I want to try is to use the smoker tray. It is a long tray that is probably about 3 inches wide and 18 inches long (or the depth of the grill). It slides in from the front. The instruction book has nothing about how to use this. I'm lost! Can anyone tell me how to use this?

I want to smoke a turkey.

Specific questions:

1. Do I put the turkey on the rotisserie or set it on the grill?

2. I'm assuming I need to soak the chips and then put them in the tray. What temp do I set the burners at to smoke and not cook?

Any thing else I need to know?

Thanks in advance to any tips or advice you can give me! :-D

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Using Smoking Tray with Barbecue Grill

1. Do I put the turkey on the rotisserie or set it on the grill?
Depends on the size of your grill. If your turkey is small enough to place it on the grill without having a burner lit directly underneith it, then you should be OK. Otherwise I would suggest the rotisserie. The key is..no fire under the bird.
2. I'm assuming I need to soak the chips and then put them in the tray. What temp do I set the burners at to smoke and not cook?
I would suggest getting a book. It varies somewhat but I think about 200F is average.

o
RE: Using Smoking Tray with Barbecue Grill

Thanks wheely boy. I will see what our library has to offer!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Outdoors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here