Return to the Cooking Outdoors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
No lava rocks? Oh the shame!!!

Posted by magnoliasouth (My Page) on
Thu, May 26, 11 at 14:58

I am very upset. After looking all over I was unable to find a gas grill with lava rocks in my area. I have a sinking feeling that these no-lava-rock grills have as much flavor as oven broiling it.

The thing that worries me even more is the constant use of the gas. Who in their right mind came up with this idea? Talk about non-eco friendly! I am sick to death of safety paranoia.

Okay so I have two questions:

1. Is there a brilliant way I can conserve the gas when in use?

2. If anyone has a no-lava-rock grill and has tried wood chips, how did that work for you?

I am just so upset. I was tempted just to go with a charcoal grill, but... I thought I'd give this a whirl anyway.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: No lava rocks? Oh the shame!!!

1.. Why is gas non-eco friendly? It seams to burn very clean. Why conserve it? It makes heat, use it too cook your food and then turn it off.
2. Lava rocks are gross. They get all mucked up with grease and dirt.
3. Moistened wood chips will make smoke when placed in your gas grill regardless if you lay them on top of your lava rocks or flavorizer bars. If you like that sort of thing, the wood chips should work just fine. If not you can use it for mulch.

o
RE: No lava rocks? Oh the shame!!!

1. moisten/soak your wood chips.
2. take a sheet of aluminum foil and place chips on foil.
3. wrap chips up in foil, puncture foil with knife several times.
4. toss foil pack onto grill grates.

smoke ensues.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Outdoors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here