Return to the Cooking Outdoors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help -- want to buy a big gas grill

Posted by Floydo (floyd@calhounhomesgroup.com) on
Mon, May 20, 02 at 14:09

Please Help...I am trying to decide on a new gas grill.

I do not need fancy, don't want fancy, just want biggest primary cooking area. We have a lot of people here on a regular basis and youth groups with many, many kids are planned for the near future. I do not want to feed people in shifts, rather I would like to cook as much food at once as possible.

I want quality of Weber, but will not spend nearly $3,000 for their biggest. I like the idea of spending a couple hundred bucks on a grill, but the last two times I have done this, I have had rusted out crap that needs replacing within a couple of years. SO, I would like to get something of size, basically looking for the biggest bang for the buck. I would be willing to spend up to $1,000 to get a grill I can count on for a long, long, time.

Has anyone out there tried a Kenmore? WHat about the Big Easy? My grandma would kill me if I didn't buy a Weber, but I am looking for as much input as y'all are willing to give me. Please help ASAP--

THANK YOU.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help -- want to buy a big gas grill

oh, BTW, I would also welcome opinions about the flavorizers of Weber versus the ceramic briquettes or lava rocks that I have had in the past...

please spare no detail

o

Floyd,
You should check out the Member's Mark Model #: MM YO660l at a Sam's Club. It is $1500 and it is huge, well made and will last a LONG time. You will need a truck to get it home. Good luck

o

I have the big easy and I like it so far.. I got it for $249 at wal-mart. It doesn't have rocks or briquettes, I guess like the webers with their "flavorizer bars". Seems to be a pretty nice grill for the money. It has 3 burners and a flush side burner.

o

Take a look at the Members Mark $599 model as well if you have a Sam's in your area (same manufacturer as the Kenmore). Since you indicated you would spend up to $1000 I would strongly recommend the Virco for $799 that you see in other discussion here. 32" grilling surface with 3 heat zones and a 4th side burner and 5th ceramic burner for rotiserrie. Comes with heating rack, and nice cover as well. All stainless thick stainless steel welded construction and pullout grease tray (easy to clean, but all SS if you want to do it later ;-)
This is not rocket science and since the parts are fairly simple/straightforward components, name brand is not nearly as important as seeing how well it is constructed.
If you don't have a Sams or Costco, then take a look at the JennAire at Lowes. A cut above the Weber grills that I could look at first hand. Stainless steel in alot of places there it needs to be there.

o
large grill at the depot

I saw a large, well built grill at Home Depot yesterday from Vermont Castings. They have one that is maybe 26" x 16" but this looked about 34" x 18" ??

Also, if size is the prime consideration, have you considered those large open grills (no lids) that you see at some commercial venues? No idea on price, but I think I saw some at allgrills.com ($$$)

o

Weber Flavorizor bars vs. Ceramic bricket or Lava Rocks:
They all have one think if common. There is no flavor in any of them. The simple truth is that the flavor comes from the food you cook. The bars, ceramics, rocks, drip pan, etc. serve the function of providing a medium which is hot enough to vaporize the juices of the food dripping down on them into a greasy smoke which then flavors the food. This is what defines grilling and regardless of what the medium is, the food is what flavors the food. The more residual build up the better the flavor. This is why a dirty (seasoned) grill always produces better tasting food than a new grill out of the box.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Outdoors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here