Return to the Cooking Outdoors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: Marmalade Flank Steak and Grilled Veggies

Posted by delray (My Page) on
Fri, May 24, 02 at 11:27

Good Morning America had a real grilling expert (no offense LP) with some tasty recipes for the grill this Memorial Day.

The link is:
http://abcnews.go.com/sections/GMA/GoodMorningAmerica/recipes/GMA020524Marinated_steak_rocco.html

When the page goes away, here the pertinent info...

Ingredients for Marinated Steak:
• One 12-ounce jar orange marmalade, English if possible
• 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
• 1 tablespoon chili powder
• 2 tablespoons A1 steak sauce
• 1/2 cup ketchup
• 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
• 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
• 3 pounds flank steak
• Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste

Directions:
1. In a large bowl, combine all ingredients except the steak and the salt and pepper. Whisk to combine. Set aside 1 cup of the marinade. Add the steak to the remaining marinade and coat well. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
2. In a small saucepan, boil the reserved marinade for 5 minutes, or until thickened to a glaze consistency.
3. Preheat a grill. When it is too hot to hold your hand six inches above the grill for more than 5 seconds, it's ready. Remove the steak from the marinade and season both sides with salt and pepper. Grill until medium rare to medium, about 4 minutes on each side. Let the steak rest for 5 minutes.
4. To serve, brush the reserved marinade over the steak and cut against the grain into thin slices.
Serve warm.
Serves 6.

Marinated Grilled Vegetables

Ingredients:
• 1-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and smashed
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
• 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
• 1 1/2 cups olive oil
• Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
• 2 red bell peppers, halved and seeded
• 2 yellow bell peppers, halved and seeded
• 3 zucchini, halved length-wise
• 3 yellow squash, halved length-wise
• 3 red onions, cut into 1-inch rings crosswise
• 2 bunches scallions, roots trimmed and greens trimmed one inch

Procedure:
1. In a very large bowl, combine the ginger, garlic, parsley, vinegar and olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Set aside 1/2 cup of the marinade. Season the vegetables with salt and pepper and toss well to combine. Let the vegetables marinate about 1 hour.
2. Preheat the grill. When it is too hot to hold your hand six inches above the grill for more than 5 seconds, it's ready. Grill the vegetables until charred and tender, about 8 minutes for zucchini, squash and scallions, 10 minutes for peppers and 15 minutes for the red onions.
3. Transfer the vegetables to a large serving platter and drizzle with the reserved marinade. Serve at warm or room temperature.
All recipes courtesy of Rocco Dispirito.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
tried it..

I don't know how excited this group gets about recipes (I know there are several excellent grilling shows and books out there).

Let me just say, this turned out great. Everyone said it was some of the best beef they ever had (really tender, juicey, and great flavor marinade) maybe they were just being extra nice as family and friends ;-). I had never cooked with this cut of beef before (flank). The kids even ate the zuchini, which is saying alot. The squash was a bit too large/mature for my liking, so it softened too soon on the grill (prefer it about the size of small zuchini-approx 1 1/2" x 10" so it is crisp and tender). Put aluminum foil on the warming rack and stowed veggies there while I cooked the beef. All went very quickly and without a hitch despite my feelings of inadequacy being my first real grill endeavor.

o
RE: RECIPE: Marmalade Flank Steak and Grilled Veggies

This grill rocks!! Saturday I cooked up some hamburgers and hotdogs for lunch. For dinner that night did some country style pork ribs with a hint of mesquite smoke (used a cast iron smoker box from Lowes),(Can't help it, I am a Texan!) They came out awesome. Yesterday, we put two chickens on the rotisserie, had some foil wrapped grilled corn-on-the-cob, and some foil wrapped yams. Everything was perfect! I think my grill is now seasoned and ready for some real work :) Will keep you posted. bsbbq

o

I saw the episode on Good Morning America. It really did sound delicious, but I"m always skeptical. Thanks for trying it and sharing the information. I'm going to try it tomorrow night for dinner. Will let you know how my "bunch" liked it.

o

I tried this recipe and I can tell you it was extra fine. One of the best things I have done on any grill. TRY THIS ONE YOU WONT BE SORRY!!!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Outdoors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here