Return to the Cooking Outdoors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Primo Grills

Posted by muddy_water (My Page) on
Sun, May 27, 07 at 8:32

I just started selling these at my Pool Store. I would love to here the Good or Bad about these cookers. http://www.primogrill.com/

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Primo Grills

I received a Primo Oval XL fully loaded with all the accessories a few years ago as a very nice, very expensive gift from a family member. I used this grill for lo and slo cooks for two seasons with excellant results creating some of the best Q I've ever tasted... then the thing cracked. I'll let you know later how their customer service treats me.

o

Thanks for the feedback Let me know the results of the replacement....How did the crack happen?

o

I just ordered a small Green Egg on line, and initially I regretted not ordering the large. I imagine that the Green egg is similar to the Primo, from what I've seen, they are similarly shaped and use the same ceramic type material. I am still awaiting delivery. Today, I passed by the a Barbeques Galare store and stopped in to take a look. They had a large and extra large green egg on display, and after taking a look at them,I am glad I purchased the small. The weight on these things are incredible. Especially the extra large. I had to really lift hard to get the lid up. It seemed to put a lot of pressure on the hinges. The top kind of wobbled side to side. I could just imagine the thing getting ripped right of its hinges if someone were not careful, or a big ol' gust of wind came up while bbqing with the lid open. It comes off its hinges, it breaks into a hundred pieces, bye, bye, Humpty Dumpty! My neighbor has a small old ceramic cooker about the exact deminsions as the small green egg. I don't know the manufacturer, its similar to the green egg but its yellow, probably about 10years old. Last superbowl, I brought some pork rib meat over, and he grilled it. It was the most amazing meat I've ever tasted. He barbeques 12-13lb turkeys every Thanksgiving and they are out of this world. Cooks them low and slow and they come out just like a smoked turkey, except they are jucey and full of moisture. I hear many people say, "go for the large cooker" if you are going to get one of these. After looking them over, however, I would think twice about that. If you are thinking about buying one, run over to a dealer, such as BBQ Galore, or Muddy Water's Pool Shop and chek them out. They are extreemely heavy, that's the only draw back. But I'll tell you they cook the most amazing food in the world, bar none. I attached a link that has a bunch of recipes and forum talk about ceramic cookers.
--J

Here is a link that might be useful: The Naked Whiz's Ceramic Cooking Page

o

I have a Kamado, which is similiar to the egg or primo. The Kamado is very attracive, comes in mosiac tile and cooks the best low and slow BBQ I've ever eaten any where. It also can cook pizza or sear steaks at 800 degrees. Very versatile.

o

I used to own a Kamado and I loved it. It was great for grilling and smoking. Temperature control was very precise and it was very efficient with charcoal. However, notice that I used to own a Kamado. I got rid of it for two reasons.

1. It was too heavy. I loved the grill and would have loved to taken it to the park for family outings or moved it to the front of the house for neighborhood block parties, but that couldn't be done.

2. Capacity was limited. There are many times that family members would ask me to smoke turkeys for them because they loved the food that came off my grill. My Kamado had an 18 inch diamater; therefore, it could only hold so much. For the price that I paid, it would have been nice to have greater capacity.

So, I sold it and have been looking for over a year for the perfect device that I can use to grill and smoke, along with portability and capacity. In the mean time , I am using a WSM and a Weber Kettle. They do the job just fine, but I'd rather have one device sitting in my backyard.

o

I just bought a Primo XL Oval and the first time I used it, it cracked. It is 4th of July weekend so I won't be calling Primo until Tuesday - what a bummer. the Primo cooked great the first time I used it despite the crack.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Outdoors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here