SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gumby_ct

New Charmglow Grill

gumby_ct
18 years ago

I didn't see an FAQ & couldn't find anything thru a search but I would think it has been discussed here before -

Anyone have any recommendations on seasoning or breaking in a new gas grill?

Didn't find much here on Charmglow either. That is what I bought a Charmglow Stainless-Steel Gas Grill Model 720-0230 from Home Depot.

I liked it, well that why you by anything, right.

Took me over 3 hrs. to put the thing together but I didn't want to wait 2 more days for them to do it. Plus this way I could carry it up to the deck in pieces and actually know how it went together, in case I have to work on it later, right?

I will know more after I use it but it has been soooo long since I bought a new one I couldn't remember if there were things I should be doing to get the flavor in it?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Gumby_CT

Here is a link that might be useful: Charmglow 36,000 BTU Stainless-Steel Gas Grill

Comments (18)

• yborgal
    17 years ago

We just bought the 40,000 Charmglow grill and are planning to use it tonight for the first time. Did you ever find out if it needs something to enhance the flavors while cooking?

• gumby_ct
    Original Author
    17 years ago

The short answer is NO.

Your's is the 1st reply in a month. A friend told me to just cook on it. Which we have done and have been very pleased by it's performance. I especially like the ignitor, kinda like a gas stove & each burner has it own. After warming it up, We usually end up cooking on low. So I think it has plenty of BTU's.

I am sure you will enjoy yours.
    Gumby_CT

• Related Discussions

Charmglow Stainless Steel Gas Grill

Q

Comments (1)
    Bought it and love it so far!
    ...See More

Rotisserie for Charmglow - where can I find one?

Q

Comments (4)
    grilllover - Sorry I haven't got back to you. Between finishing a kitchen remodel DIY and the rain storms I haven't got out to look. nardbarn1 - I looked at HD but they don't seem to carry them in the winter. I asked but they said they don't know if they will get them in until Spring. This is crazy because, when it stops raining, in CA you can cook outside all year long. I will keep looking.
    ...See More

Advice on Window Grills for New Windows-Modern Farmhouse Update

Q

Comments (8)
    By beefing them up, I'm suggesting the grilles be thicker in dimension. You cannot divide the current grille because 'lights" in windows are never that ratio of height versus width. You're the one trying to turn a ranch into a farmhouse. A lot of professionals would not recommend that.
    ...See More

Need advice on a new small outdoor grill that won't blow us up

Q

Comments (11)
    Weber is generally not a bad choice. They on average tend to use better materials that won't fail quite as quickly. And they keep their product lines around for so long, that even years later, you can buy replacement parts. Having said that, parts do fail over time. That's the nature of the beast. High heat, open flames, and constant exposure to the elements does take its toll. You can spend a lot more money and buy super-premium brands that maybe won't need service quite that regularly, but it doesn't sound as if that's what you are looking for. Those brands target more of a professional market segment and/or large community outdoor kitchens.
    ...See More
  • yborgal
    17 years ago

I'll let you know tomorrow how the "launching" goes. Thanks for the quick reply.

• yborgal
    17 years ago

The gas grill worked perfectly. BUT, we're used to a smoky flavor and we didn't get that on our steaks. Our last gas grill had briquettes in it and I wonder if we can put some in the bottom of this new grill.

• gumby_ct
    Original Author
    17 years ago

yea I think it is hard to get that smoked flavor on any new grill. That is why I was askin.

Maybe try some greasy hamburgs? Dunno. I tried using some mesquite wood to help it along. Mine is starting to come around. I am sure it had even heat all the way around.
    Gumby_CT

• clay.reis
    15 years ago

I am not sure if this helps at all, but this will be my 4th gas grill I have broken in. I just ordered the 3-Zone Charmglow with smoker...and will be doing the below to "season" it before my first use. I have not found any information on if you can put the briquet's in the Charmglow, have anyone here figured this out?

Two things I always do with a brand new grill:

-make sure ALL plastic and other stuff has been removed from inside ... this sounds like common sense but when I put my new grill together I almost missed some sneakily hidden protective plastic films

-spray the inside with canola or EVO (Extra Virgin Olive)oil ... fire it up, hit 500+ for a couple of minutes then turn it off ... this should coat the inside well and do away with any first run smells

Burgers would be a good idea for the first couple of cooks ... anything that should give off a lot of oily smoke

Lastly, not all SS is the same, and SS WILL rust under the right conditions. There are two grades I know of 304 and 316, anything ungraded is of lesser quality. 316 has a higher carbon content and resists corrosion better than 304. Point of all that is keep it clean and oiled.

• dizzyswimmer_mchsi_com
    15 years ago

Charmglow grills are cheep Chinese junk, made buy nexgrill for home depot. One of the poorest grills made. you will be lucky if it lasts a year. I have one of the poorly made 720-0230's. Truley gives Home Depot a bad name. Can't stress how much I dislike this grill.

• eteinne
    15 years ago

Hi!

It seems that there is some miss-information and the Charmglow. The original Charmglow is still made in Antioch Il. and not in China. If U R buying this as this is the gas grill U grew up with U R mistaken. The Home Depot grills R junk. They sold their name and the original Co. is Modern Home Products. MHP 4 short. The Modern Home Products will get U 2 their website. They are made in Il. I grew up there and know it 2 B true. I live in Inverness and it is Palatine on the other side of the street. I would never have a Webber and the counter person at the place knows me by my first name. I have been there all of the time in 12 years. I hated the Webber from the get go and after spending all of the $ replacing the parts and still had a grill service I just threw it out. I now had an all Infra-Red MHP and love it!

I have no idea as 2 what age group with which whom I am dealing but if U remember Electolux Vacs. which were sold door 2 door the vacs U see at Lowes & Sears R not the same. They sold their name also and the new name 4 this Co. is Areus. U will not find these vacs in Lowes or Sears. U pay over $2,000 for the top of the line. I just wanted to keep U informed.

• gumby_ct
    Original Author
    15 years ago

2yrs + it is still cooking up a storm. We love it.
    Not a problem yet. I can't find this exact model at HD any more tho.

• gumby_ct
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yr #3 - when 1st fired up 'she' noticed the burners weren't quite right. Closer inspection revealed the burners have rusted thru.

Lucky to find the manual and receipt. The burners are still under warranty but $18.49 for S&H. However, I did find one website selling the burners for $37ea. , ouch. It has 3 burners + S&H + tax. ouch again.

The below link has the burners for $18.50 ea. Hopefully they are of good quality but one never knows.

I just realized I listed the wrong P/N in my OP, it should have been Model No. 720-0036-HD-05.

The replacement parts took 10 days after the charge hit my card to get here, incl. weekends. But NO instructions on how to remove the old or install the new parts. Couldn't find anything with a search either. The manual doesn't show how they are connected so these burners MUST have been installed when I got this thing. Looks like 2 well rusted philips screws holding each burner tube on the back side.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.gasgrills.com/Nexgrill.htm

• toddg8_juno_com
    12 years ago

I bought an expensive multi burner with searing burner side charmglow grill in one season (of minimal use with continuously covered including off season) the one year mark equals the searing burner no longer functions, the auto ignition no longer functions and all the lettering has fallen off no kidding with normal mild soap and water cleaning on the areas of knobs and standard stainless polisher elsewhere.....poor quality totally not worth the price for one seasons worth of use and a minimal use at that......why do Americans buy grills produced in other countries......well I think we see the answer......and can you contact charmglow online? and can you get an answer :?? Answer no so buy foriegn buy walmart buy non union non American you cannot get any worse quality and you will spend a hell of a lot less.

• dreamgarden
    12 years ago

"Two things I always do with a brand new grill:

-make sure ALL plastic and other stuff has been removed from inside ... this sounds like common sense but when I put my new grill together I almost missed some sneakily hidden protective plastic films

-spray the inside with canola or EVO (Extra Virgin Olive)oil ... fire it up, hit 500+ for a couple of minutes then turn it off ... this should coat the inside well and do away with any first run smells"

Thank you!

• gumby_ct
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Update:

Still using Model No. 720-0036-HD-05 with the 3 burners which were replaced ~3yrs ago. All starters still function as new. We cover ours but don't wash it down after every use so maybe that helps to extend the life?

I am disappointed tho that for the last couple of yrs I haven't seen any Charmglows at all at HD when I look. I/We do still use it often and especially like the gas stove-like starters on each burner.

Like I said that was one of the reasons I bought Charmglow and they still work fine.

Jenn-Air is the only other grill I saw those gas stove like starters - you know when you turn the knob the flame starts.

• gumby_ct
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Anyone know why they don't make Charmglow grills anymore?

When I bought mine the salesperson told me they were made just for Home Depot. I can't find a HD employee who has heard of Charmglow any more.

ps. Mine is still working just fine. Just got thru using it. :)

• gumby_ct
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Still using Model No. 720-0036-HD-05 - 10yrs later. Everything still works as intended. I Just don't see the Charmglow brand around any more.

• chas045
    7 years ago

Hi gumby, I thought I had posted on your thread before but I guess not. I have Identical results to yours. I have never needed to replace an ignitor. Here is what I just posted on another thread:

I have an 11.5 year old inexpensive stainless 3 burners and grill by
    Charmglow via HD. It was made in Mexico. I believe I have replaced two
    burner tubes and 3 or 4 burner flame covers. I use it at least once a
    week year 'round. I'm afraid Charmglow is no longer in business but I
    just want to point out that stainless burners could be expected to last
    an extended period whether premium or not. I believe my replacement
    burners were in the $18 range. After the first year, the BBQ was always
    under a deck roof.

• gumby_ct
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Yes still have my Charmglow grill too. Still lovin it. I also think Charmglow must have either went out of business or was sold. But I am happy with mine and after the first burner replacements have not had a problem.

I have not used it yet this year so time will tell. Hope I can find replacement burners if needed.

• gumby_ct
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I went to clean it up for the season and could hear & smell. propane leaking. I went with a 30in. hose from Weber. 6in longer to give just a tad bit more room when changing the bottle.

While I was in there I noticed the burners and shields may not make the season.

Has anyone found a source for replacements that will fit? Something with some quality hopefully.

Sponsored