SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
meagain1

New Stainless Grill at Costco (Virco?)

meagain1
21 years ago

In addition to their Kirkland brand stainless steel grill ($749), Costco has something new right now. I don't know the size specs on it but it is larger than the Kirkland.

It has (3)-20,000 btu burners in the grill section, a 12,000 btu side burner (which I don't need), and an infrared/rotisserie burner (don't know the BTUs on that).

It seems way nicer than the Kirkland and has a cabinet below the grill with 2 doors offering storage space in addition to space for the tank.

The brand is "Virco" and the model is called "The Classic" or "Classic Deluxe". The price is $799.

I have spent hours on the net researching grills and cannot find this name anywhere. I'm assuming some other manufacturer made this for "Virco"? I can't figure this one out.

I go to Costco every Friday and it wasn't there last week. Has anyone seen this grill over there? Any opinions? Any ideas as to the manufacturer? It looks very nice for the money - but what do I know. :)

Comments (103)

• technimac
    21 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Now this grill looks an awful lot like the Ellipse 32" at "allgrills.com". The burners and flame deflectors appear to be identical. Hmmmmm...

• mattw22
    21 years ago

I was able to finish converting my grill to Natural Gas yesterday. While Virco said you need a Natural gas regulator you actually dont. You can hook
    the gas line directly into the unit.

The only problem I ran into and others might want to check is that all 4 igniter points in the grill are lighting when you press the black ignition button.
    I noticed that three of my igniter points werent sparking so I re-adjusted them closer to the burners. I imagine they probably moved during shipping.

I didnt need to make any adjustments for natural gas. It lit a blue flame on all the burners the first time.

• Related Discussions

New Virco Grill at Costco in Bellingham?

Q

Comments (1)
    Taiwan. All high-end products that come out of the orient come from Taiwan.This unit is 100% stainless steel.Check out the ongoing debate MM vs virco on other posts. Very entertaining reading.
    ...See More

PICTURES of Virco Stainless Grill from Costco

Q

Comments (42)
    450 degrees in just a few minutes (could go higher, but that was more than I needed just testing it). I did take a quick look yesterday at the Kirkland model while picking up food and a grill utensils for Memorial day. Noted the folded metal corners, screws, etc. which made me more appreciative of the Virco quality in welded stainless steel (lid, lip, etc..) that they ground to a perfect edge and fit. One minor thing that I did not like were how easy the utensil hooks can swing out. I will look for a rubber gromet or something like that to slide over the end to keep them in place. Did I mention this unit is heavy? Not near the 450 lb that the Costco claimed, but Virco did not skimp on stainless steel. Double wall doors, lid that feels immense, and a minor detail, but I really like the stainless steel skirt at the bottom as it makes it look permanent vs. portable (even though it has locking casters), and how about that cover bsbbq?! Fully insulated with velcro ties. For those interested, Costco has a Hoffritz (hoffritz.com)6 pc. stainless-steel and black santoprene (like rubber) grill set that includes a large turner, tongs, biiiig fork tipped knife, grill brush, basting brush, and a 10 x 16" (I think) grid grill. Sorry to push Costco, but I checked Walmart while getting some other stuff, and just two pieces (with wood handles) were more, so I am glad I waited.
    ...See More

Saw my first Virco grill Saturday

Q

Comments (20)
    I just compared the burners, and there are various types of burners as noted but for this type (stainless steel tube type) the guage is the same (although there are a few different shape configurations, the Virco-type is the most common and undoubtedly an OEM part, see the pics at all.grills.com or go out and take a look for yourself). I did not see thicker SS on the higher end units and if someone (besides the latest incarnation of lpsage aka chilidawg) wants to point out a guage difference, I'd like them to reference the model (not just brand) as the burners of this type are similar if not identical. I just would not be worried about burners failing. It aint gonna happen. As far as the other components, well its really all pretty standard, simple stuff (outside of the SS cabinetry). Just knobs, wires, ignitors, etc. which could all be serviced by many equivalent parts if it came to that. I'm just happy that I got such a great value. The most expensive component is undoubtedly the assembled SS cabinetry, hood, etc.
    ...See More

Unhappy with Virco Stainless Grill

Q

Comments (5)
    Maybe someone can help me, I just saw a mention of flareups on the Virco. I haven't cleaned the grease tray in a while so perhaps that is the root of my problem. I was grilling some rib eyes tonight and had a huge flareup where it appeared the flames were coming from the flavor bars (is that what they're called?). So much food has accumulated there I guess it just caught fire. I was quite concerned when I could see the fires glow through the lower door crack. I turned the burners off and moved the steaks, after which it finally simmered down. Had one hand on the phone dialing 911. Anyone else have this type of flareup? Will turning the burners on high for 20 minutes burn everything off so I don't have this issue again (I WILL clean the grease tray too). Sue
    ...See More
  • meagain1
    Original Author
    21 years ago

Technimac - Hmmmm... It does have some similarities doesn't it? Only the specs (BTUs, etc.) are less than the Virco. The side burner option looks identical - brass burners, lid, shape, handles.

If you do a google search on "Ellipse 4032 grill" and scroll down to the 4032 - that one seems to have specs that match more. $1700 plus $150 for the side burner put that one at $1850. But it seems the side burner would be 'floating' instead of built in as the side burner would replace the side shelf (unlike the Virco which is built into the unit). Also the Virco doesn't have the scalloped-sided side shelf. But I agree that the guts seem similar. Interesting. Then again - I've seen similarities in so many brands. Handles seem the same, etc. Also can't tell if it has a drip tray. And it has exposed wheels, etc.

Good spotting - There sure are similarities.

I have a van. We didn't have to remove it from the box. We had the thing on a cart, leaned it into the van and slid it in on its side. The shortest width in my van is 49.5 inches. The box JUST fit in at about 48ish inches wide.

Without the box, it measures 45" wide and about 47" tall. The left side shelf and right handle bar are inside the grill to be attached.

Hope this helps. We uncrated it in the garage, rolled it to the entry of the house, up 2 steps, through the house, down a step & onto the patio. It was tough - the thing is HEAVY!

• cathyid
    21 years ago

Interesting reading here. I have a couple of comments to add. First, anything I have ever bought and had a problem with at Costco there was no problem getting a refund, on the spot. Secondly, most products are made of components bought from different vendors and then assembled and sold under a brand name. If I was going to buy something this spendy, IF there was a problem, Costco would make it good but more than likely I could find the components myself to fix whatever was ailing it in the first place. Once an engineer always an engineer I guess. LOL I must say though that I am a cheapskate and would never concider spending this much on an outdoor grill. LOL I have stainless in my kitchen and it is the biggest mistake I made when we built and outfitted our home. It is too labor intensive to keep looking good. Dust,finger prints, smudges and scratches, even indoors.
    Happy grilling and enjoy your new additions. They are beautiful and I am sure you will really enjoy them.
    Cathy

• lpsage
    21 years ago

"I have a van. We didn't have to remove it from the box. We had the thing on a cart, leaned it into the van and slid it in on its side. The shortest width in my van is 49.5 inches. The box JUST fit in at about 48ish inches wide."

Why is that not a surprise?

Another house frau with a van.

Spending all day yacking on the internet about a grill while the poor husband is breaking his neck earning the $$.
    How predictable.

• grill_mike
    21 years ago

Not all stainless steel is created equal. The Virco grill is said to be all 304 stainless steel. This is a very good grade and is non magnetic ( a magnet should not stick ). The burners should hold up. Many cheap stainless grill parts are 409 stainless.( Charbroil SS burners for $29.99)
    We know these don't last. 409 stainless is an inferior grade, is very magnetic and will rust without salt and heat, but its half the price of 304.

• dwayneq
    21 years ago

Well my Virco has been sitting on my back patio for a week now waiting to be inaugurated. I have ordered the conversion kit for NG from Virco. Since all I only have is an old style LP tank I'll have to wait it out.

Can someone tell me what is needed to hook up the grill to a NG stub? It sounds like you need a shutoff valve going to a regulator and then beyond that I am lost. Also where would be the best place to get the fittings, etc? Anyone that has done this, I would appreciate if they could clue me in. I really want to have everything ready for when the conversion kit arrives so I can get to grilling right away.

• meagain1
    Original Author
    21 years ago

Sorry Dwayneq - Can't help you, just want to add another question to the pot....

Has anyone added a propane tank fill level indicator to their Virco? Or can anyone recommend anything? I've never shopped for one and aren't sure if they even work adequately, but it would be a nice feature to have. I guess I could buy a 2nd tank - but I'm not a big fan of having flammables sitting around the garage AND taking up room.

Thanks!

• delray
    21 years ago

Some of the tank exchange units (in front of grocery and hardware stores, even the IFA) have tanks with built in fill level indicator (Blue Rhino?). At least that is the case in our area. The one on the Sam's club MM unit goes by weight.

• mattw22
    21 years ago

dwayneq-
    You should be able to find all the natural gas fittings at Home Depot. There are many ways you can do it. You can screw on a shutoff valve to the stub and then screw your quick-connect line to the other end. That might be the easiest. You can also look at compression fittings.

You dont need a regulator for natural gas you can screw you quick-connect gas line directly into the grill.

• lpsage
    21 years ago

"Has anyone added a propane tank fill level indicator to their Virco? Or can anyone recommend anything?"

Hello and Peace meagain:
    There are two(2)fill level indicators that are on the market that I am aware of. One is a gauge that attaches between your regulator and the tank...it just screws on. It measures pressure and I suspect it is fairly accurate. It sells for $20.00. I think I saw it in a Target store. The other is like a refrigerator magnet that attaches to the bottom portion of your tank and measures ambient temp. towards the bottom of the tank. It sell for about $3.00. I have had no success with these thermal indicators. They come with Blue Rhino refills too. I would consider the $20.00 on....however, it might be worth it to just buy a new tank for $30.00 and keep it filled as a backup.

• WSUSPINSTER
    21 years ago

Last night I wanted to check this grill out first hand, so I went to my local costco where they had 6 on hand (hawaii, if you are wondering). I have been looking at grills from Weber ($400) to high end DCS ($4000). For $879 (locally in Hawaii, little P.O'd that it isn't $799 like on the mainland but that is life in Hawaii) I am not sure you can get a better bang for your buck.
    People have been worried about the name brand, and the availibility of parts down the road. So I asked Costco about it, and they said "Just return it to us." I said what, just return it to you. The manager of the store specifically told me it is a indefinate return policy, so 5 years down the road if a burner goes bad and you can't get replacement parts, bring the whole grill back and they will return your money. They said the stand behind their products 100%.
    Now can that beat the Samns club MM? Not sure, not a member of Sams, but if they back their product like Costco does, it doesn't matter if Virco only lasts a year to 50 years, Costco will always be around, and will back you up 100% no matter the time.

So needless to say, I am getting a Virco!

• meagain1
    Original Author
    21 years ago

Cool! Please let us know when you get it. Ummm... It's REALLY heavy! :)

• meagain1
    Original Author
    21 years ago

Lpsage - OK fine. Not sure why the flipflop. My guess is you might have gotten a slap on the hand by Spike? If so, know it wasn't me. I know alot of people here (other boards) do that but I don't play that way. And dislike people that do.

I bought the Yashido sauce. Haven't checked it out yet so I don't know if it will fly. It would be nice to have something already premade for last minute dinners, etc.

Not sure how I'll handle the tank issue either. Right now I have one tank and we've had the thing about a month. I've zero clue as to how much fuel is in there and fear I'll abruptly run out during cooking.

• lpsage
    21 years ago

Meagain,
    No hand slapping from anyone, just decided it was all silly.

I heard Heinz sent a group over to Japan to find and buy out the rights/recipie for a Japanese cooking sauce. They went to mom&pop type places and came across the recipie for the Yoshida and bought it. Then of course Costco buyers went after it for Costco.

Now the truth be known, I can't stand Sam's Club as a rule.
    In fact, I joined, paid the $35 membership at the time solely to buy the MM grill in mid-May of last year. OTOH, we routinely shop at Costco. They have an excellent wine selection. Their buyers hit the right chords in many merchandise lines. I won't put Sam's Club down, they have some quality things there but the Wal-Mart corp. culture prevails and the customer service reflects that.

I was eyeballing the Kirkland for at least a year or so, I suspected it was a DCS and then one time I saw 'DCS' branded on the pallet of one and I was convinced. I even called or emailed DCS to ask if they made the Kirkland grills. They told me to contact Costco for any questions about Kirkland grills. Suspicious response.

Anyway, comparing the Kirkland to the MM, I'd take the MM anyday(and did). The Virco is a good grill. I studied it up close and personal and you do get a hell of a grill for $800.

Anyway, that's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

BTW, I just returned from Austin and ate some "real" BBQ....no gas grills at those joints! Mesquite cooked turkey, brisket.........
    You can get a cast iron smoker box at Wal-Mart for $8.00. It will work fine partially placed over your flavorizer bars.
    I just bought hickory. I've had my fill of Mesquite.
    Also, one of those stir fry baskets with the holes works great for shrimp and vegetables. Try marinating the shrimp in several crushed cloves of elephant garlic, lime and cilantro(fresh of course) and then wok 'em on your grill.

• meagain1
    Original Author
    21 years ago

Sounds good. Haven't done shrimp yet and want to do more with veggies and I do have one of those gadgets for that.

I don't know what I'm going to make next (over the weekend) but I'm thinking about shishkebob. Need to come up with a good marinade/sauce. I had one I liked years ago but lost the recipe. I know it had some type of mustard in it. I at a football tailgate party and the folks next to us had the recipe from their Aussie grill book? So good.

Lpsage - when you grill the shrimp are they in the shell or not?

• lpsage
    21 years ago

Meagain,
    Shrimp is so reasonably priced as much of it comes from the Far East and is farm raised, that I find the bigger the better....especially for guests. Costco has them every weekend and the various supermarket chains are always running specials. However, big shrimp, farm raised or not, have big ugly veins. So to answer your question meagain, I remove the shells and thoroughly devein the buggers and then marinate them and/or cook them. Sometimes for that peel and eat affair I cook them with the shell on, but only with smaller shrimp. The hills not worth the climb to clean and devein the small-medium ones.

• jayg
    21 years ago

I just signed up last night as a member of this great site! I sent an e-mail to one of the other members not realizing I could post here and have wisdom from many!

Just bought the new Costco stainless grill. I am a newbie to grilling also. Was I supposed to have some "briquettes" (sp?) with the grill? Or do they only come with the 100.00 to 200.00 grills? :o)

• bsbbq
    21 years ago

jayg,
    Did you buy the Kirkland grill from Costco, or the Virco Classic? If you bought the Virco, it does not come with any briquettes. If you bought the Kirkland, I would personally take it back and wait for the Virco to come in. It is light years better than the Kirkland. When I was at Costco last week, I noticed they had the Kirkland for $699.00, not $849.00 like it used to be. I think even for $700 it is still too expensive. The MM from Sam's is a better deal for only $599.95, but if you got the Virco, good for you. Hands down, the best grill in the sub $1000 price range.

bsbbq

• meagain1
    Original Author
    21 years ago

Right.. The Virco is only $50 more than the Kirkland. No comparison. Hopeing you bought the Virco.

• rowdytj
    21 years ago

I went to Costco this morning. They had 4 Virco's on the floor. I went back this afternoon and only one was left. Needless to say, it left with me. We did have to adjust the valves, but that was easy, following the above instructions. Did a steak and some hot links tonight and it works great. Clean up the the grate was easy, the only thing I am a little concerned with is the permanent tray at the bottom and how to clean it properly.

• aakin
    21 years ago

Can someone post the specs of this Grill? What does it come with? How big is the grilling surface? Does it have a rotisserie? Please details.

• bsbbq
    21 years ago

3 main burners @ 20K ea. Infrared rotisserie and side burner at 12K ea. 84K BTU total! Grilling surface is approx. 20" X 30". Includes very heavy duty rotisserie and cover. The sides, front & back are skirted around the casters to help hide them. SS burners, cast brass side burner, ss grates, ss everything! Factory conversion available to convert to NG which does not void warranty. This grill rocks!! Haven't made a bad thing yet with it. Go get one before they are gone!! (I like mine, if you could not tell) Good luck.

bsbbq

• qadsan
    21 years ago

I learned of the Virco grill from this web site - Thanks! I went to Costco yesterday and they had two left. There was a crowd of people looking over the floor sample and about a half dozen people who were bickering among themselves as to who these BBQ's belonged to. One lady was screaming that she was there first and it belonged to her and another couple said it belonged to them and another couple said they would take it if someone backed out while another person was taking claim to it by by keeping his hand on it and saying it was his, etc. I was waiting for him to lick it like in the VW commercial! Other people were claiming the boxed unit beside it and more people were gathering the longer we looked at it. Some of the people gave us the evil eye and told us to get lost because these BBQ's were already sold and they didn't need anymore people involved, etc. After a minute or so of looking it over and being told several times by several people that it beloned to them, I immediately went to the front desk and got the store manager and said I wanted to buy the Virco BBQ in the box 'right now', but there's a bunch of people in front of them bikering over who they belong too, who claimed them first, etc. He rolled his eyes and then asked us again while grinning if we were absolutely sure we wanted this BBQ and we said lets ring it up right now. We stayed out of sight because we didn't want to get involved with the crowd around the BBQ's, but we could see things really getting heated between the people when we peeked around the corner from across the store at the crowd and the Costco guys while they were loading it up on a rolling dolly to move it. The store manager said that was one ugly crowd bikering over this and the last BBQ. He said one guy was swearing at him over this, but that I was the first person to actually pay for it so I got it!!!

While we were unloading and setting it up at home we noticed one of the welds on a rod was broken on the warming rack, so we went back to Costco to see if they could replace it. Much to our initial surprise, the other Virco BBQ was still there about an hour later when we returned, but when I went to open the BBQ to see if its rack was in good shape, the lady who was screaming that it belonged to her about an hour earlier jumped out from nowhere and told me to take my hands off her BBQ because she had already bought and paid for it and was just waiting for her husband to come down and pick it up. The store manager comfirmed she bought it immediately after we bought ours and things just got nastier after we left. He said he didn't have any parts to give us and that Hawaii was the only Costco that had these right now from what he could tell, but that it was an active item and more stores would be getting them soon. Today, I called Virco and told them my story and they gave me a new warming rack without any hassle whatsoever. In fact, they were real nice about the whole thing and that left a very good impression in my mind about their customer service. I hope they continue to treat customers like this, but I'm sure they'll have their share of growing pains as any company does if they do grow larger.

This is one NICE BBQ! Even the 30 inch Jennair at BBQ's Galore for $2500 doesn't look finished as nicely as the Virco in my opinion. Many of the stainless BBQ's I've looked at costing $1500 - $2500 look as though they're built on an assembly line and put together with sheetmetal screws, panels, etc. Don't get me wrong, the Jennair and many others are fine units, but the finish work on my Virco is better than anything costing twice as much from what I've seen. The 304 stainless used is not too thin or flimsy like some BBQ's I've seen and the welded panel junctions are ground to a nice finish like on the $2800 Lynx at BBQ's Galore. There's no doubt there's better BBQ's on the market, but not in this price range from what I've seen. If Virco continues to promote this product and keep up with the demand while providing good customer service, then they may just be setting a new price/quality standard in the BBQ industry for stainless BBQ's.

If you're thinking of buying a new stainless BBQ, then get a first hand look at all the stainless BBQ's you can in every price range so you can compare them first hand with the Virco. Don't forget to bring a truck or a Van when you go to Costco because you just may come home with a new virco BBQ once you see it in person.

• meagain1
    Original Author
    21 years ago

LOL What a great story!!! Since you are into detail...
    Notice how the front side corners are 'clipped'? I love that detail. They didn't have to do that.

Please let us know how it works for you when you cook that first virgin meal.

• qadsan
    21 years ago

Yes, the detail on this is great compared to other products costing twice as much and sometimes more. I cooked Costco New York Steaks & corn on it last night and they were yummy! The flames are mostly blue at every setting after making my adjustments, but I still have little hints of orange on all the burners when they're turned up to the maximum setting. I cooked a potato and some vegitables on it for my lunch today and in just a few minutes I'll be cooking more mixed veggies along with some pork & turkey burgers. Tomorrow is chicken and this weekend we're going to try out the roaster. So far, it's been great and I'm very happy. I may even buy another one to keep at another house!

• aakin
    21 years ago

Last night as I drove home I stopped by Lowes to look t the Jenn Air Grills I heard about and was very dissipointed in the quality. The two units they had in the showroom were already falling apart.

I am dying to see the new Virco grills in person. I called the local Costco and as expected they have none in stock (not even a floor model). They could not tell me when they will get more. They don't have a wait list and they do not deliver. The only way to get it I guess is to call them every day to find out if they got any in or are getting any in soon. Any suggestions on how I can get one soon? What did you guys have to do to get one?

Also, exactly how big is this grill with the packaging and all? Please post the exact dimensions of the box it comes in. I have a Honda Odyssey minivan and I suspect that as soon as I hear that some store has it I have to rush to get it before anyone else.

Lastly do you need to be a member at Costco to buy it? I know they use to have memberships and do not know if they still have that.

Thanks for the suggestions.

• meagain1
    Original Author
    21 years ago

aakin - The manager of your costco can look in their computer and tell you what stores in your general area have them and how many.

After I bought mine April 28th. It is now June 11th. In that time, my Costco didn't get them in.

The dimensions are posted somewhere here. Just look on this page at all the Virco threads. As well as above.

From memory, my van is 48.5 inches wide. The box was approx 47" wide.

Membership is 30-35 bucks. Still worth the membership just to get this grill.

• bsbbq
    21 years ago

The box is about 47" wide, 48" tall, by about 26" deep. You might have to do what I did. I found some of these at the Costco in St. George, Ut. I live in Salt Lake. The Costco in St. George is serviced from the facility in San Diego while the stores in Salt Lake are serviced by the facility in Seattle. At the time I wanted mine, the stores in Salt Lake didn't expect any in until now, but I was inpatient. I found someone here locally that was also looking for one, I called the manager at the store in St. George and had two of these units put on hold for me. They had 4 at the time including the floor model. This was about a 625 mile round trip, but it was worth every mile. I have included a link to a pic of my truck with the two grills. You might call some Costcos that are not so close to you and maybe get the same luck? Good luck.

bsbbq

• delray
    21 years ago

Hey bsbbq, you should exchange that picture with the one with our happy mugs in it ;-)

It appears Salt Lake-Utah Valley has units in stock as of Sunday. I would assume all the stores served by Seattle Warehouse recieved 10-12 units at the same time. Costco.com rep said they would have these available for shipping at costco.com at the end of May, but they do not (plus shipping is going to cost several hundered dollars).

Good luck!

• bsbbq
    21 years ago

Hey Delray, (And anyone else who wants to see)
    Here is the other picture. Along with a web page I started. Everyone read this and send me some stuff to add to it. I will maintain it and we can all have a point to share by instead of a thread "somewhere" where we can't seem to find it again. It might help, I don't know, just a thought. I will set up the needed links and pages on it to make it more organized. If someone wants to post pics or whatever, just send it too me on this link.

bsbbq

• mfitch
    21 years ago

Some time ago we had a discussion regarding the adjustment the burners on the Classic to get a blue flame. I was never able to get this to work like the rest of you. I did not really worry about it since it grills better then any barbeque that I have ever used. Then even though the tank had gas I could not get the burners to light. I determined that my regulator was bad. I had also been unable to tighten the rubber cover correctly on the side burner igniter since day one.

I had not bothered to call about the igniter, Why do today what you can do in a couple of months.

Since I could not ignore the regulator I called Virco Monday and asked for both parts. They asked me to fax them my receipt and a description of the parts that I needed. They then called me back within an hour and verified my parts order. I received the parts UPS on Tuesday morning (24 hour service). I just installed them and all problems are gone. I have gas at the burners, the flames are blue and the rubber cover on the igniter fits like a glove.

Vircos support was without equal.

• thomasw_2
    21 years ago

Just got back from the Costco at Park Meadows (it's just a little south of Denver. They've gotten in a new shipment. Mine's in the garage now if I can get someone to help me heft it over the little fence surrounding the patio.....

• Sunnyedog
    21 years ago

What does anyone know about using the rotisserie feature? I see the electrical switch to turn the rotisserie - but what about the flame? What is the Rotisserie gas knob affect, is it a flame? or do I use the middle grill burner flame....
    How do I determine the appropriate flame setting as well as hours/ pound cooking time? If this is in the manual we missed it. Tips and recipes Welcomed!

P.S. we have really enjoyed the BBQ! Cleans up easily, too.

• bsbbq
    21 years ago

I cooked two normal size chickens on mine in about 2 hours. Just use to rear Roto burner only and put a pan under the birds to catch moister. Use a meat thermometer to be sure.

bsbbq

• aakin
    21 years ago

Last night purchased a Virco Grill from Costco. Based on what I have been reading here on availability I feel I really lucked out. I have been calling several of the local Costco's and checking on their inventory ever since I found out about this Grill. And it seamed none of the Costco's would ever have any in stock. Then two days a couple of days ago the gentleman I spoke to at the Edison, NJ store said they got 3 in a little earlier. I asked him if he knew how many were still available. He went to the floor and checked and said only one was left. This was the middle of the day and I was at work so I couldnt just run over and pick it up. I asked him if he could hold it and he said they are not supposed to but said that he would put my name on it and move it to a different part of the store and when I got there later that evening to check that location. If it happened to be there then it would basically be mine.

Well, really busy at work so I couldn't go that night. Went there the following night and sure enough it was where he said it would be with a sign on it that said hold for___.

Not being a member of Costco I immediately went to the membership desk and became a member. And loaded it up into my Odyssey and brought it home.

Can't wait to set it up and get cooking.

I just want to thank everyone on this board for their valuable advice. Once agin I feel it has resulted in me getting an excellent product at a great value. (I use the tractors boards on Garden web regullarly and purchased my tractor based on the advice of the good folks that are regulars there).

I will post my experience as soon as I have some and hopefully be able to return the favor by providing good advice to others.

Thanks again.

• mfitch
    21 years ago

Put the meat on the skewer. Put the end of the skewer through the hole in the lid and into the rotisserie motor. Turn the rotisserie gas knob on and push the igniter button. I have never adjusted the knob to any other position then hi. You wont believe how easy it is to use this feature. While the meat is turning baste it with what ever strikes your fancy. I have cooked prime rib, pork roast and chicken. Everything came out great.

• kelf
    21 years ago

May I please ask for help?
    Am not an expert on grills. About the Costco Virco:

1--Does Virco Grills have a website?

2--What is their 800 #?

3--How does their guarantee stack up against the best?

4--Is it safe to store two full propane tanks under the hot grill?

5--Since this Classic Deluxe in not made by Virco( from the postings it seems that they are only the importer) Who actually makes them?

• bsbbq
    21 years ago

Virco does not have a web site for their grills, but if you would like to see some pictures of it and read some more on the Virco, visit http://www.equinoxcs.com/Grillingweb/index.htm

I know that the 800# is listed somewhere on these forums, but I can't remember it off hand. I know that it is on the front of the grill.

As far as warranty goes, I know that there are some grills out there that are made by Great Outdoors and other manufacturers that carry as much as a 75 year warranty on the castings and a 25 year warranty on the cast brass burners. I believe Virco is 1 year on everything, 2 or 3 years on all SS parts and 5 years on burners. The Members Mark from Sam's is 1 year on everything.

I keep an extra filled propane tank under mine. It does not seem to get that hot down there.

The Virco Classic Deluxe is actually made in Taiwan. The name of the manufacturer is not known to me, but the craftsmanship appears to be excellent and much better than the Chinese. When you figure into the equation that a comparable grill from Viking or DCS would be 3-4K, and the quality seems very close, I don't see much comparison.

bsbbq

• greenburner
    21 years ago

Hi, I just purchased the "virco", i need some help. I could not find the scewer. Everything else was there. I think I may have overlooked it. Thanks

• greenburner
    21 years ago

Hi I just purchased the"virco" grill from costco's. I cannot find the scewter. Maybe I overlooked it. Help!

• Steph_in_Oregon
    21 years ago

It should be in the bottom of the shipping box, in the rear, at the base........just above the wheels.....

• greenburner
    21 years ago

Thank you !!! I guess I don't have a skewer, there was no bottom on my box, only cardboard around the wheels.

• spambdamn_rich
    21 years ago

Wow! Nice to see so many fans of the grill I just purchased!

I had Tuesday off (June 18) and was getting ready for a party that night. So I went to my local San Leandro Costco to get chips etc. Well, there on the floor were four Virco grills, one out of the box. I took one look, and wished I had brought my truck. I was back later that day with the truck and brought one home. IMHO a full size pickup truck is needed to carry this thing.

I also had some ignitor problems but after adjustment of the gaps they all seem to work ok. I also fiddled with the connectors underneath the control panel and that seemed to help. I also found some fraying of the glass fabric cover on the ignitor wiring to the rear rotisserie burner, where it exits the back of the cabinet. I moved the whole cable up a bit to expose an unfrayed portion to the metal edge. I'm planning on wrapping the cable with some heat resistant tubing where it goes through that area, to prevent more fraying. I had a similar problem with a table-top patio heater I got at Costco a while ago. The ignitor cable frayed and shorted out on some metal. Easy enough to fix once I discovered the cause.

I cooked a rib steak on it last night and it came out great. It was kind of hard to see some of that beautiful stainless get carbonized, but what the heck, it's a BBQ grille.

The right door on mine has a very minor crease in it,which it took me a couple of days to notice. I'm not about to return this behemoth because of that! The burners all seem to function perfectly, with nice blue flames.

Oh, I don't think the handle and the shelf are interchangeable. The spacing on the bolt holes are wider for the shelf than for the handle.

Still have to hook up the rotisserie motor. I'll probably do a chicken tomorrow.

All in all this is a beautiful, extremely well made grill. I've been using charcoal for years... I have a Kingsford egg shaped grille that I use to roast chicken and turkey. It comes out great, but I'm tired of all the smoke inhalation I inevitably get doing this. I also have a New Braunfels horizontal smoker with separate fire box. I have been consistently disappointed with the dried out results I get with this one. It's also very labor intensive, adding just the right amount of wood/charcoal and trying to keep the temperature even. I'm keeping both, because sometimes you just want that real smoke, but the Virco Classic will be my main grill. Faster and cleaner!

Oh, and thanks to those who posted the info on the natural gas conversion. I'm going to order one of those kits right away. I'll have to run the gas line a considerable distance to the patio, but it will be worth it in the long run.

One minor complaint: the wheel locks are very hard to get at... but they do work.

Just for grins, I took a magnet to the whole unit. It's nearly all 304 non-magnetic. The only magnetic parts I found was the surround for the ceramic rear burner, and some nuts holding the chassis bolts under the cooking unit.

As for the stainless burner tubes not holding up to heat, I hope they do ok. After all, they use stainless steel for automotive exhaust systems... which contain a lot more corrosive gases than propane.

• spambdamn_rich
    21 years ago

Oh yeah... I bought my Virco grill on Tuesday, at which time there were three in the box and one demo. When I went back on Friday, there was only the demo left... with knobs missing (although they all seemed to be sitting inside the grill). Glad I moved fast on my purchase.

I may give Virco a call about the ignitor wiring and the slight crease in the right hand door. Maybe they will ship me a new door.

• spambdamn_rich
    21 years ago

This thread is about to fill up, so here's a new thread, "part 2":

• spambdamn_rich
    21 years ago

I found that the thumbscrew on the rotisserie spit hit the shelf support for the warming shelf. So I got out my trusty Dremel tool and beveled the edge of the shelf support.

• eking
    15 years ago

Is this a freestanding grill? I am looking for a built in that doesn't cost the earth. Any ideas?

• luvtheoutdoors
    14 years ago

OK, It was because of this string of posts that I decided to buy one of these used. I'm glad I did. I've had it for most of the summer and love it. The all stainless construction makes clean up a snap. If the stainless grills get beyond just a brushing I'll put them in the oven on the self-cleaning cycle and like Emril say's "Bammm". I was concerned that the side burner might not work well as I've never had one that catches spills but it works so much better than my old grill. The guy I bought it from told me he paid almost $900 for it new so since it was a few years old I wondered if it was worth the $550 he asked for it. Being all stainless what can go bad. It was so worth it!!!! Love this grill. :)

• eeniemoni_gmail_com
    12 years ago

So, after all this time, how happy are you still with this grill? I have a chance to buy a used one (when were they last made? ) and would love to hear from all of you that bought one

thank you!

Sponsored