Return to the Cooking Outdoors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
soy/whiskey marinade

Posted by Fairegold (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 25, 03 at 14:39

This one goes back 55 years in our family. Great on a large sirloin, tri-tip, pork chops, too.

1/3 cup sugar
2 T smashed garlic
piece of ginger, chopped
4 T whiskey (we're from Tennessee, so Jim Beam was prefered)
6 oz soy sauce

Marinate meat at least 4 hours, overnight if possible.

We like it with a tri-tip roast, then slice it thin.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: soy/whiskey marinade

This sounds good, I'll be trying it for sure. Thanks!

David

o

Thanks, this looks good! I don't know what tri-tip roast is, but we like flank steak for a london broil, so this sounds perfect.

o

I'm not sure exactly what tri-tip is, either, but I think it's the bottom part of the sirloin It is common in central/coastal California, and is perfect for slicing thin. You can get tri-tip sandwiches at every fair or event... this weekend's big garage sale has the 4-H kids selling tri-tip sandwiches!

I found this description of tri-tip on someone's nice web site. In fact, I think I'll go investigate this site a little more!

Here is a link that might be useful: tri-tip

o

Thanks Fairegold, that's a great website, it made my mouth water!

o

I agree Woodie, nice website. Made me hungry for a nice ribeye roast done on the grill. I'm going to take one that I have out of the freezer for tomorrow nights dinner.

Thanks Fairegold.

Ann

o

Fairegold, I used your recipe today for Mother's Day. It was wonderful, we all loved it. Thank you! I shared it with the Cooking Forum hope you'll come visit:)

Here is a link that might be useful: Cooking Forum

o

Hi there, Woodie! Share the recipe with everyone. I've had it all my life, and I think it is great. We had it tonight with tri-tip that we started marinating on Saturday.

I have looked at the Cooking Forum just briefly, and I'll have to visit more. I am a real regular over in Appliances and Kitchens/Baths and Remodeling, because we are finishing up a major remodel and all the pain that goes with it. For 8 months we were living in the basement, and cooking with just the microwave and the electric frypan. Since we've moved back into the house and have the kitchen almost done, now I can pay attention to the other Forums, like cooking and some of the gardening ones. But it's been first things first, and I've learned quite a lot about kitchen appliances from these great forums.

I'm glad you enjoyed the marinade. I'll tell my 93 yr old Mother than her old recipe is still making the rounds!

o

Hi Fairegold! Fancy running into you here! It is funny how many Kitchen/Bath people I have found on the cooking forums!! Now that we all have new appliances we are ready to cook!!!

This recipe looks great!! We love to marinade and cook on the grill. I may try it this weekend.

Doris

o

Fairegold,

Do this need to be heated to dissolve the sugar?

o

We never have heated it. Maybe it's the Jack Daniels or the Jim Beam? ;-)

Enjoy!

o

Thanks. I am going to try it on a couple of ribeyes tomorrow night. I will let you know how it went.

o

This marinade will officially replace two others that I've used for years which are much more labor-intensive. This was wonderful. I used it on on a tri-tip which I grilled over charcoal. I'd like to do flank steak strips next time. Thanks for sharing a sure hit. Do you have any more great recipes?

o

Fairegold, tried this on Memorial Day, very very good!! Its a keeper at my house. I also sent it home with several friends and family. Tell your Mom its making the rounds in Eastern South Dakota, Minneapolis/ST. Paul metro area, and Atlanta Georgia. Thanks again for sharing!

David

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Outdoors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here