Return to the Cooking Outdoors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grilling Meat - Hood Open or Closed?

Posted by pastryqueen (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 8, 08 at 8:15

That's the question in a nutshell...I have never gotten an answer whether the hood on my BBQ should be open or closed when grilling meats or anything else in fact. Years ago before grills were $$$$$ and I cooked on a hibatchi there was no question and food came out fine. Now I'm sure what I'm doing, only that I do BBQ year round in the NE. Can someone shed a light for me.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grilling Meat - Hood Open or Closed?

pastryqueen - I'll try to help you out.

I cook with the hood closed, regardless of the type of meat. Hamburgers, hot dogs, steaks, ribs chicken - it makes no difference.

My grill has a temp gauge that I use as a reference point. 250 to 300 degrees for cooking, burners are never on high but on medium at best.

Meat must be completely thawed, not even partially frozen. Steaks, 3 minutes per side for rare, 4 minutes per side for medium rare (red but dead). Hamburgers - 2 minutes per side. Understand we like our meat a little red on the inside. Neither the wife or I like well done!

Pork and chicken must be completely cooked. I usually do these in an aluminum pan for at least 45 minutes. The obvious test is the meat comes off the bones with ease.

My grill also has a infared burner so I can do steaks for 2 minutes on a side and have them come out perfect.

Enjoy the journey.

eal51 in western CT

o

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond, really appreciate it.

o

ha. I often grill with the top open
it depends on how well cooked I want the inside of the meat to be in relation to the outside.

steak, which I eat rare, is done top open so the outside cooks and the inside doesnt.

Chicken or vegies that need a higher internal temp get cooked closed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Outdoors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here