Return to the Cooking Outdoors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Big Green Egg

Posted by Jarvis (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 31, 02 at 20:13

I got an early B-day present the big green egg smoker. Does anyone have one?? If so let me know how you like it, or if you have any tips on use for me. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Big Green Egg

We've had one for 3 years now. Great!!. Like Prime rib the best. We've followed recipes for the dry rub for ribs. You can slow it down to slow cook and smoke. Can't say enough. The only draw back is that even the large egg does not hold more than one chicken. Small compromise. Go to their web site and there are lots of hints and great recipes.

o

The only problem I had was that you had to buy "special "charcoal

o

I have owned a medium sized Big Green Egg for about a year now. I love it and the way it cooks. You can adjust the top and flu to hold a specific temp. and it will hold it for hours. I have done brisket and held the temp to within 10 degrees of 220 for 5 hours. I had a problem with the ceramic finish on mine but the company was great and replaced it through the dealer with no charge to me. By the way, you do not have to use "special charcoal" Any charcoal will work but lump (which is natural and not processed into brickets) work the best. This is due to the fact that lump charcoal produces less ash and requires less cleaning. I have also been told that processed brickets have a chemical binder in them that leaves an aftertaste on the food. I don't know it that is true but it might also be a reason the Egg people don't like to use them.

o

I have been using lump charcoal for well over a year now, and would never use anything else again. A few weeks ago, my stepson gave me a bag of Kingsford charcoal briquets. The other day, I decided to use some to help start a fire in my wood burning smoker. I about choked from the terrible smell that came from them burning. It's sort of like drinking nasty tasting tap water after being use to pure drinking water.

The web has several sites that discuss lump charcoal. Here is one that may be of interest to some.

Here is a link that might be useful: lump vs briquetts

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Outdoors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here