Return to the Cooking Outdoors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Porcelain Coated Cast vs Stainless

Posted by demark (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 27, 06 at 18:12

We just bought a new Kenmore grill (16326). Sears had a good sale going on and we had collected a bunch of gift cards over the years which really got the price down.

It appeared that the 16326 replaced the 16327 model from last year. They had the same form factor and same MSRP, but the 16327 was not in the 2006 catalog and had a steeper discount.

The main differences are:

- The 16327's exterior is primarily porcelain coated with some stainless parts, whereas the 16326's exterior is primarily stainless with a few porcelain coated parts.
- The primary cooking surface is made of up 5 grates - one for each burner. The 16327 comes with stainless steel cooking grates, while the 16326 has porcelain coated cast iron ones.

So, for the new model year, it appears the stainless was taken from the inside and put on the outside and the porcelain that was on the outside was moved to the inside.

My question is which cooking surface is supposedly "better"? I might have an opportunity to change out the cast with SS - should I take it? Note, in doing so, I would not be getting rid of the cast grates, I would just not using them.

Thanks,
- Tony

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Porcelain Coated Cast vs Stainless

According to a recent issue of Consumer Reports, stainless is preferable to porcelain coated cast iron due to eventual chipping of the coating.

o
RE: Porcelain Coated Cast vs Stainless

Coated cast iron is old technology and will last decades if not abused (e.g. dropped or wire bristle brush). Cast iron physical properties (thermal conductivity and specific heat capacity) make it superior to stainless steel for cooking applications. It's also significantly cheaper to produce and machine. That's not saying SS can't do as a good job; but either the burners have to be more powerful else the SS grates will have to weigh much more then the CI grates to get equal results in the same grill design.

From a practical perspective, searing beef is the only grill function were this makes any difference. If that's not something you care much about than go with SS if you prefer the easier cleaning.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Outdoors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here