Return to the Cooking Outdoors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
hickory chips

Posted by purpleinopp (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 29, 12 at 11:43

I've used a lot of wood in grilling, but not bought hickory chips. On impulse I grabbed a small bag (a little smaller than a pack of 4 rolls of TP.)

I would like to hear your experiences with how long you soak them, and then how long they last in the grill. Do they function as a heat source or just as a flavor/smoke source? Do you wait until you have coals ready to cook before adding them? How much do you use?

Our grill is barrel-shaped, charcoal. The pan that holds the fire is about 14" x 28".

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: hickory chips

I like to soak them for at least an hour...about 4 hours is better. Then I wrap them in heavy duty foil, punch holes in the foil and toss them to the side of the Weber kettle when the coals are almost ready.
You won't get much heat from them they are supposed to smoke and add flavor.
You can also dump that foil packet into a gas grill to smoke away.
The longer you will be cooking the meat the larger the chip packet.
Enjoy!
Linda c

o

Aha! Thank you for opening this door in my imagination! I can run with this concept...

o

Might want to try the wood chuncks. They burn longer and my opinion are more cost effective. I throw them on the charcoals and they are a heat source also.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Outdoors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here